Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please give an option to stop decoding multichannel to LPCM

Hello Apple,

I own a LG OLED C2 and a older Denon Receiver with ATMOS an eARC-Support.

The problem: The multichannel decoding from my Apple TV 4k 2nd Gen not work at all. The ATV is connected to the TV and the AV receiver is connected to the eARC-Port on my TV (HDMI 2).

The multichannel audio decoding not work at all. Sometimes, I get the center channel on the right speaker or I get very loud distortion from all speaker. I only want an output which is untouched by the ATV. I know, Siri is not available in such mode, but this is ok for me. I rarely use Siri at all.

The option to transcode all audio to DD 5.1 is useless at all. It encode DD 2.0 to 5.1, which destroys Dolby Surround options on my AV-Receiver. And I get loose of any DD 5.1 Plus streams.

I want audio passthrough or must throw this thing away.

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 5:30 PM

older Denon Receiver with ATMOS

If the receiver supports Atmos, then it is not that old. Did you check if the firmware is up-to-date? Especially the earlier generations have seen fixes and added features through firmware updates.

The multichannel audio decoding not work at all. Sometimes, I get the center channel on the right speaker or I get very loud distortion from all speaker.

When does this happen? With content from where? Through which app?

If it is from reputable online streaming services, then it certainly shouldn’t happen, and you would be right to seek assistance to solve this.

If it is from local files, extracted by you or someone else, or less reputable IPTV services, then file errors or incompatibilities or conversion errors, are more likely.

If it happens with specific apps only, then please name those apps, so that we can concentrate on the same thing.

If the audio system can handle PCM Multichannel at all, then it should work correctly, or else throw an “unsupported format” message. PCM Multichannel is not a complicated system. It works correctly, or not at all when not supported. Wrong speaker channels or distortions are not inherent to PCM Multichannel.

At one point, long ago, passthrough was available, and then it got disabled very purposefully, even for third party apps. I don’t think it is going to change anytime soon.

… DD 2.0 to 5.1, which destroys Dolby Surround options on my AV-Receiver.

That is admittedly a real issue, if you have such wants and needs and also such sources. Pro Logic is not supported, nor is computational upmixing of clean stereo tracks. That being said, if your source has stereo audio, then the surround sound experience was not a priority for the producers, or not of that time. GIGO.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 5:30 PM in response to Zahni31

older Denon Receiver with ATMOS

If the receiver supports Atmos, then it is not that old. Did you check if the firmware is up-to-date? Especially the earlier generations have seen fixes and added features through firmware updates.

The multichannel audio decoding not work at all. Sometimes, I get the center channel on the right speaker or I get very loud distortion from all speaker.

When does this happen? With content from where? Through which app?

If it is from reputable online streaming services, then it certainly shouldn’t happen, and you would be right to seek assistance to solve this.

If it is from local files, extracted by you or someone else, or less reputable IPTV services, then file errors or incompatibilities or conversion errors, are more likely.

If it happens with specific apps only, then please name those apps, so that we can concentrate on the same thing.

If the audio system can handle PCM Multichannel at all, then it should work correctly, or else throw an “unsupported format” message. PCM Multichannel is not a complicated system. It works correctly, or not at all when not supported. Wrong speaker channels or distortions are not inherent to PCM Multichannel.

At one point, long ago, passthrough was available, and then it got disabled very purposefully, even for third party apps. I don’t think it is going to change anytime soon.

… DD 2.0 to 5.1, which destroys Dolby Surround options on my AV-Receiver.

That is admittedly a real issue, if you have such wants and needs and also such sources. Pro Logic is not supported, nor is computational upmixing of clean stereo tracks. That being said, if your source has stereo audio, then the surround sound experience was not a priority for the producers, or not of that time. GIGO.

Aug 18, 2022 10:05 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi, the problem is the LG TV. Audio works fine if I connect the ATV to the AV Receiver. But the AV-Receiver don't support HDMI 2.1 and it causes much delays in refresh rate changes. LG TV's (not only the C2) seems to have problems to forward multichannel PCM to a AV Receiver from Denon using eARC. Multichannel PCM should work with ARC, but it won't in this configuration (eARC only). There is no problem at all, without Multichannel PCM. Here in Germany we have much TV shows in Dolby 2.0 with Dolby surround only. Or Apps won't support DD 5.1 (WOW TV from Sky f.e.) If I enable the DD 5.1 encoding option in the ATV, Netflix outputs DD 2.0 in 5.1. The center channel goes missed. Additionally, I miss some dynamic with Apple DD 5.1 encoding. I can compare it with the build-in apps in my LG TV.

AV-Receiver: Denon AVRX 3500.

Please give an option to stop decoding multichannel to LPCM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.