Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app replaces @ sign in email address

I want to send someone an email address in a text message, but the Messages app (both mobile and desktop) replaces part of the email address with the @ sign. For example, I type in "jane@janesmith.com" and "@jane" is automatically replaced with blue "Jane" text. "Undo" won't put the "@" sign back, and I can't figure out anyway to text an email address without the replacement.

Question 1: How do I send an email address in a text without the replacement?

Question 2: What is the purpose of the blue text? I guess it is being recognized as an Instagram handle or something like that, but it is not clickable and doesn't seem to do anything other than mess up my messages.

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 2:44 PM

Hey perfectweb,

Sounds like you're mentioning a contact within your iMessage, but don't want it to do so. We'd be happy to help out.

The behavior you've described is expected behavior. You can mention a contact when using iMessage with one of your contacts by either typing their contact name and clicking on the name or by using @[their name].

To help bring your message to the attention of a recipient, include @ before their name, like @John. Or click their name after you type it. Their name is then highlighted in the message, and they will receive a notification letting them know that they have been mentioned. This feature is available in macOS Big Sur or later.

This information and more is outlined here: Mention a person in a message on Mac - Apple Support

If you don't want this to occur, don't click on the name after typing it and it should appear as expected (not in blue) or in the case of the email you're attempting to type, type [first name]@[first name], tap Space, then type [last name] and then backspace the space between first and last name. That worked on our end to prevent it from turning blue. If that doesn't work though, you could also adjust the name in your Contacts app so that it doesn't match the email exactly and that would prevent this from occurring in the future with no workaround needed.

While it's not common for people to have their exact full contact name as the ending of their email address, when you do occasionally run across this, the above steps should help you out with avoiding the conflict it creates.

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 2:44 PM in response to perfectweb

Hey perfectweb,

Sounds like you're mentioning a contact within your iMessage, but don't want it to do so. We'd be happy to help out.

The behavior you've described is expected behavior. You can mention a contact when using iMessage with one of your contacts by either typing their contact name and clicking on the name or by using @[their name].

To help bring your message to the attention of a recipient, include @ before their name, like @John. Or click their name after you type it. Their name is then highlighted in the message, and they will receive a notification letting them know that they have been mentioned. This feature is available in macOS Big Sur or later.

This information and more is outlined here: Mention a person in a message on Mac - Apple Support

If you don't want this to occur, don't click on the name after typing it and it should appear as expected (not in blue) or in the case of the email you're attempting to type, type [first name]@[first name], tap Space, then type [last name] and then backspace the space between first and last name. That worked on our end to prevent it from turning blue. If that doesn't work though, you could also adjust the name in your Contacts app so that it doesn't match the email exactly and that would prevent this from occurring in the future with no workaround needed.

While it's not common for people to have their exact full contact name as the ending of their email address, when you do occasionally run across this, the above steps should help you out with avoiding the conflict it creates.

Take care!

Aug 22, 2022 1:21 PM in response to UTBadger

Thank you for the informative answer. I now understand what the Messages app is doing. It took a little more testing to figure out how to send the whole jane@janesmith.*** email address in a text, so I'll elaborate. Like you explained, if you just type in the contact's first name (without the "@"), the name dims, and if you don't click on the name and keep typing, the name undims and remains normal text. But when you type a name with the "@" at the beginning, the name will change to blue "mention" text no matter what you type next. So type any character, let that happen, backspace twice, and the blue mention text will change back to normal text, then complete the email address.

So the process for entering "jane@janesmith.***" would be to type "jane@janes", backspace twice, then finish with "smith.***".

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Messages app replaces @ sign in email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.