Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.6 Mail Privacy Protection not working

I just received a good old scam email from "costco confirming your order has shipped". Not a big deal - I've seen this kid of junk for years.

What *DID* surprise me is that all of the remote images loaded for that email, even when my VPN was disabled. Privacy Protection, in the past, has blocked the remote images from loading, unless my VPN was enabled, and I'd see a message at the top of the message indicating this. Still works fine on macOS 12.5's Mail app.

So is Mail Privacy Protection broken?

Thanks!

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 1:27 PM

5 replies

Aug 18, 2022 2:06 PM in response to sberman

Perhaps that's the working theory, but has not been my experience, and after toggling the option off and back on, I'm back to what I expect.

First image shows your reply going to mail on my iPad. Notice the top line showing how remote content is loaded through the VPN connection. Second image shows the settings. If you could reply to this, I'll turn off my VPN and show you the behavior I expect (once content is downloaded, it's there).

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2022 3:10 PM in response to sberman

Looks like Apple fixed this to work the way I was expecting with iOS 15.6.1 I'll include the screenshots for grins, but with Mail Privacy Protection turned on, when my VPN is off, mail won't load remote content at all. I have the option to allow it, but that doesn't match up with "download privately in background" as the setting implies and how you believe is how it should work.

iOS 15.6 Mail Privacy Protection not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.