Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I choose what files to migrate?

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to move files to my new mini from a time machine backup. Because the files in the old computer add up to more than the Mini can handle is there a way to migrate only some of the files and not all?

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 8:07 AM

Below is Only IMHO

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

6 - You can Resort some files from Old to New once TM Backup has been setup on the New Machine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 8:07 AM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

Below is Only IMHO

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

6 - You can Resort some files from Old to New once TM Backup has been setup on the New Machine.

Can I choose what files to migrate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.