Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MDM Activated after Reset 2018 Macbook Pro when I didn't have MDM before

I've been using a 2018 Macbook Pro 15.6 inch for the past 4 years. I have hard reset the computer multiple times in the past with no issues. However, I recently went to reset the computer to sell it online and now remote management pops up for Turner Broadcasting. I do not know anyone who works there.

I've never had a single notification of remote management in the 4 years that I've had the computer. I was previously the administrator of the computer and root installed many programs. I did purchase the laptop on eBay in 2018. I do fear the worst, but I'm very confused at what happened.

The last time I reset the computer. I think it was still on Catalina. This time it should have been on Monterey.

Is there some way to remove the MDM lock?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 1:59 AM

If and only if there is truly a Mobile Digital Managements( MDM ) Service installed on this computer - it can not be removed except by the MDM Administrator

Regardless of Wiping and Reinstalling the computer - the Serial Number of his computer is Registered with the MDM and can be invoke at any time by them.

Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 1:59 AM in response to Liam_1202

If and only if there is truly a Mobile Digital Managements( MDM ) Service installed on this computer - it can not be removed except by the MDM Administrator

Regardless of Wiping and Reinstalling the computer - the Serial Number of his computer is Registered with the MDM and can be invoke at any time by them.

Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers

Aug 19, 2022 9:08 AM in response to PRP_53

Do you have any idea of how/why it popped up after the hard reset? I have hard reset the computer multiple times before without issue and have had 0 indications that there was MDM on it and no other profiles that I've seen before on Settings.

I also bought a new Macbook Pro 2021 (also purchased from somebody else) and now I'm also worried about it happening to my new computer. Don't they need physical access to the computer to initiate the MDM? I don't think someone could just get a random serial number and then register it onto their MDM.

Aug 19, 2022 2:26 PM in response to Liam_1202

I did purchase the laptop on eBay in 2018.
Is there some way to remove the MDM lock?

The only way to do that is for Turner Broadcasting to de-provision that Mac.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but if that Mac was provisioned its serial number is in their system and only the MDM administrator can remove it. Erasing the Mac will not help.

You may have difficulty obtaining proof of purchase from the eBay seller that Turner Broadcasting would consider acceptable. Unfortunately only a tiny minority of eBay sellers correctly prepare used Macs for sale.

Perhaps Turner Broadcasting sold that Mac legitimately and simply forgot to remove it from provisioning. Or perhaps they entered the serial number in error as Barney-15E suggested. On the other hand perhaps it was stolen from them and they're going to demand you give it back. It's not a good situation.

MDM Activated after Reset 2018 Macbook Pro when I didn't have MDM before

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.