Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MDM Lock

Hello! I bought a 2017 MacBook Pro 13” and received it from Amazon yesterday. It looks great but as soon as I turned it on I was greeted by these two screens. Is there a way around this? The seller is offering to send me a new one but I’m really trying to make this work ):

MacBook

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 1:29 PM

There is nothing you can do because that laptop is still being managed by the previous owner (apparently an insurance company if the logo is correct) which means the laptop was not properly prepared for sale. Only the previous owner can remove the laptop from the MDM management system. There is a possibility this laptop was lost or stolen. Or it may just have been an oversight when the company decommissioned this laptop for resale/recycling.

Unfortunately this is one of the risks of purchasing a used Mac from unknown vendors and sight unseen. Even if the seller had performed a clean install of macOS, the laptop would still be managed by the previous owner, except it may not have been readily noticeable as it may take hours, days, or even weeks before a notice appears within macOS regarding the laptop being remotely managed.

Another risk with some used Intel Macs, is if they have a firmware lock enabled. This is much easier to identify, because you can see the firmware lock by holding down the Option key immediately after hearing the startup chime (Intel Macs only).

Return this laptop for a full refund. It is great if this seller is offering to refund or exchange, however, this seller is also not doing anything to prepare these Macs for resale. I would avoid this seller. Apple will sometimes offer official refurbished used laptops directly from Apple...these are the only Macs which will be safe since you will also be the registered owner with Apple which can help if your used Mac ever becomes "locked" or "deactivated" since you should have the necessary proof of purchase to allow Apple to assist you in removing the "locked" or "deactivated" state.

Here is what the previous owner should do before selling any Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

The clean install of macOS by first erasing the drive is what everyone should do to any used Mac they acquire:

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

FYI, a clean install of an OS by first erasing the drive should be done when acquiring any computer, phone, tablet. Resetting other electronic devices to factory defaults is always recommended as well when getting rid of old electronics or acquiring used electronics which utilize personal logins.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 1:29 PM in response to Vixenmoon

There is nothing you can do because that laptop is still being managed by the previous owner (apparently an insurance company if the logo is correct) which means the laptop was not properly prepared for sale. Only the previous owner can remove the laptop from the MDM management system. There is a possibility this laptop was lost or stolen. Or it may just have been an oversight when the company decommissioned this laptop for resale/recycling.

Unfortunately this is one of the risks of purchasing a used Mac from unknown vendors and sight unseen. Even if the seller had performed a clean install of macOS, the laptop would still be managed by the previous owner, except it may not have been readily noticeable as it may take hours, days, or even weeks before a notice appears within macOS regarding the laptop being remotely managed.

Another risk with some used Intel Macs, is if they have a firmware lock enabled. This is much easier to identify, because you can see the firmware lock by holding down the Option key immediately after hearing the startup chime (Intel Macs only).

Return this laptop for a full refund. It is great if this seller is offering to refund or exchange, however, this seller is also not doing anything to prepare these Macs for resale. I would avoid this seller. Apple will sometimes offer official refurbished used laptops directly from Apple...these are the only Macs which will be safe since you will also be the registered owner with Apple which can help if your used Mac ever becomes "locked" or "deactivated" since you should have the necessary proof of purchase to allow Apple to assist you in removing the "locked" or "deactivated" state.

Here is what the previous owner should do before selling any Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

The clean install of macOS by first erasing the drive is what everyone should do to any used Mac they acquire:

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

FYI, a clean install of an OS by first erasing the drive should be done when acquiring any computer, phone, tablet. Resetting other electronic devices to factory defaults is always recommended as well when getting rid of old electronics or acquiring used electronics which utilize personal logins.

MDM Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.