Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code -36

Dear community,

I am aware that solutions to "error code -36" have been asked multiple times,

but the behavior I see is different from what I could read so far, so I am opening this topic.

Precise error:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)

just as a note: there is nothing between “” in the error.

I am copying some (sub-sub) folders under my Documents

to another location contained in Documents. No external drives involved.

If I try to copy the folders containing files, "error code -36" appears.

If I try to copy the files contained in the folders, no error. Multiple files, also no error.

If I try to copy even an empty folder, the error appears.

If I create a new empty folder and I try to copy it to the second location, the error appears.

If I move the folders, no problem at all.

Just for now I am creating new folders and sub-folders in the location I need and I am copying the files.

Besides being this method "quite less practical" than Command+C Command+V...

I would like to solve the issue.

Never experienced this before.

The only recent activity that come up to my mind is the update the OS to Monterey 12.5.1 a couple of days ago.

So far I tried as solutions, as suggested here around, as solutions:

. starting the Mac in Safe Mode -> same behavior

. Run Dot_Clean command from Terminal

Any help will be appreciated,

Thank you!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 1:33 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Aug 19, 2022 4:29 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you for the suggestion.

It appears to be OK.

Started again.

Surprisingly I have been able to copy two folders without any issue (the same folders generated the error before),

then, when trying to copy the third one, there has been some wait (some seconds instead of instantly) and the error appeared again. Identical.

I did not mention before and not sure if this can help in excluding some issues,

but what I am moving are folders containing few documents (no incredibly huge files, nor millions of files in one folder).

Aug 19, 2022 8:13 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you a lot Luis!

I thought that selecting the higher level “Machintosh HD” would have included all the lower levels (also Data).

Run again disk aid.

Bad (how much?) news.

What’s the best thing to do now?

I completed a Time Machine backup right before going in restore mode and launching disk aid. I backup my data also in icloud drive.

Any chance to repair the drive?

Thank you!

Aug 19, 2022 11:37 PM in response to only-a-user

The good news is you have a Time Machine backup.

At this point I would completely erase the internal drive, install Monterey and migrate from the backup. I prefer to make an installer on a usb thumb drive, start from that installer, run Disk Utility from there; note that we are talking of erasing the top level, not just the volumes in it.

Aug 20, 2022 1:11 AM in response to only-a-user

Since, as you say, it has been a long time, I would migrate just the user accounts from the backup, and install any applications manually.

The thing is, it is so easy to keep upgrading in place and just keep working, that people end up with old system extensions that were installed many years ago, and can suddenly break - and then of course assign blame to Monterey, Apple or the death of Steve Jobs…

If you want, you can run Etrecheck and look at the report, or post it here for others to have a look (it doesn’t include any private information, as you can check for yourself). It will tell about system extensions, launch daemons, etc.

It takes longer, but I always start fresh each year when a new OS comes along.

Aug 20, 2022 1:36 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I was asking because every time my system (Win in the past, Mac later) had serious issues I wiped everything from my HD and re-installed every software.

Far from being an expert, I also always asked myself if I was just loosing time, following the long route.

Good to hear I was not.

No complain about MacOS, quite the opposite.

Using Windows PCs since 95 (not a choice) and switched to Mac in 2015.

Impossible for me even to think about going back.

One issue every few years is acceptable.

I will have a look now at Etrecheck. No idea of what it is.

Really appreciated your help, thank you!

error code -36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.