Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.6.1 update and cellular service

Just updated my 12 Pro to iOS 15.6.1 from 15.6.0. Prior to the update I had a 3 bar 5G signal from a nearby T-Mobile tower. After the update, nothing, not even an LTE signal. Any thoughts or suggestions? I’ve done the more obvious solutions such as hard restart, reset network settings, I even re inserted the SIM card. Nothing seems to work.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 8:57 AM

15 replies

Aug 19, 2022 5:08 PM in response to trstrauch

I have the same problem - updated to IOS 15.6.1 and turned on cellular data - the system cannot find any cellular networks and will not stop trying. I turned WiFi off then then back on to connect to my local WiFi and the iPad only then finds GigSky - nothing else. My iPhone is updated to IOS 15.6.1 as well and connects to the same cell network as I use for my iPad with no issues. The iPad worked just fine earlier today before the update.

Aug 21, 2022 3:14 PM in response to joorellana

Similar issue, iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro both updated. iPad is fine, full cellular service. iPhone says error in the cellular section of settings. Reset phone, tried to manually reinstall 15.6.1 using iTunes, no change. Went to TMO store, tried new sim, no service and without service you can’t activate after resetting your phone. iPhone message says it needs an update to use cellular.

I hope someone finds a fix.

Aug 21, 2022 3:45 PM in response to trstrauch

OK, my service has finally returned - slowly.

initially, I connected to my brother’s Android hotspot on the SAME network/tower. After about 1/2 day, I started to get service bars. First 1, then a little later 2, after about 6 hours I was at 4 bars. No LTE, no 4G, no 5G. The next day, I got 4G and 2 bars. By the end of the second day, I was 4 bars + 4G. On day 3 I got up and found my phone had 2 bars and 5G. Nothing changed on my phone. My brother with the T-Mobile droid never had any issues during this time. Can’t explain it, but this is the first time I’ve done an update and encountered issues. I have to say I’m usually conservative and usually wait to do an update, but this was announced as CRITICAL. Lesson learned.

Aug 26, 2022 9:20 AM in response to trstrauch

I updated my 12 Pro Max to iOS 15.6.1 eight days ago. Yesterday, 25 August, I noticed that I didn't have any cellular service bars, even though I was near a Verizon tower. No bars at home either, where I usually have three. I powered off the phone and turned it back on, and it's now working normally. Received a flood of text messages that hadn't been delivered during the mystery outage.

Aug 26, 2022 8:42 PM in response to Hud3

My family member has a iphone 11 and updated. about 3 days later, her phone stopped working. Took it to apple and they wiped the phone and stated some type of board couldn't connect to her cellular network. They stated there is nothing they can do and it can't be fixed, so she has to get a new iPhone. I think it has something to do with 5g after this 'security' patch.

This is absurd that Apple does not help their customers and we have to spend $1000 for a new phone! She doesn't have a phone now, which is a safety hazard until we can afford a new phone. I am an Apple support (have several devices including a brand new iMac), will think twice before purchasing any new Apple products.

Aug 27, 2022 3:20 AM in response to JGreloaded

I ended up having to have the cellular modem replaced. Apple understood this happened the day of the update but since the phone was out of warranty in June this was not covered. Spent $525 for the part to be installed. I was a bit upset since the phone was fine until the update but that made no difference. Clearly not user friendly treatment.

Aug 31, 2022 1:13 AM in response to trstrauch

I had exactly the same issue updating my iPhone11 vom 15.6 -> 15.6.1 = no service anymore. Does not find any coverage anymore.

I hard resetted the iPhone, updated Network Settings, switched SIM (even from another operator), tried an E-SIM, but it does not work anymore. Unfortunately Apple has no idea, T-Mobile Germany has no idea and the phone is not working anymore expect within WI-FI covered areas. That is not satisfying.. does anybody have an idea?

iOS 15.6.1 update and cellular service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.