You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Keychain plug my username in the email field?

I recently signed up for Discord. Apparently, Keychain automatically saved the password, because when I go back to the site and click in the Email field, it gives the little popup with the key icon next to it.

However, while it fills in the password, it puts my username in the email field. So naturally, Discord rejects the login, and I have to figure out what email I used to join the service. This has happened to me before. Why does Keychain save the login incorrectly and how do I fix this?

P.S. When I enter my email into the email field, I get a new popup saying, "Would you like to save this password in you iCloud Keychain...?" I thought it had done that already.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 6:31 PM

There are two possible places to look.

Once removed from either or both places, Safari will offer to save the email address the next time you enter it.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2022 6:31 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

There are two possible places to look.

Once removed from either or both places, Safari will offer to save the email address the next time you enter it.

Aug 20, 2022 11:34 AM in response to John Galt

I would ask why Keychain enters the wrong item in the email field in the first place, but I think it's just a BUG. It should be pretty obvious that the email goes into the email field. DUH.

When I originally signed up for the site, all the required data was entered into the correct fields, else the account creation wouldn't have gone through. If Keychain saved this data correctly, it should have associated PASSWORD with the password, EMAIL with the email, etc. Therefore, it should also re-enter the data into the correct fields.

I wish Apple would perfect the features it already has rather than introducing new features of dubious value.

Aug 20, 2022 11:51 AM in response to John Galt

I think I see part of the problem. I have THREE entries for Discord: two for discord.com and one for discord app.com (Safari > Preferences, Passwords).

One of the entries for discord.com has my username in the username field, and the other one has my email address. Discordapp also .com has my username in the username field (I'm not sure why it has a separate entry for discord app.com, since it shares the same password, but I will leave that alone).

This brings up a new problem: Why does it have a field for User Name and Password, but none for Email Address, since email address is what many sites require to log in?

Why does Keychain plug my username in the email field?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.