Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email settings to work best

I use my Mac book pro for 99.9% of my email. I occasionally look at it on my iPhone. Ideally what I’d like to to is have my MacBook download the email and the delete it from the server. If I use my iphone I want to see it/them maybe reply, but hold them on the server until I open the MacBook and download all the mail regardless if I saw it or not on my iPhone. Is there a way to set that up? One have imap the other pop.

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 5:21 PM

When you use POP, it uses a ONE Reader model. Messages are downloaded to the ONLY device, and will eventually removed from the Internet Server after a while. You are presumed to be keeping them in the inbox on your ONE email Reader program.

--------

When you use IMAP, it uses a Multiple Readers model. All messages are held on the Internet Server.

Initially, only the headers are downloaded to the reading device. When you open a message, the body and attachments are copied to the reading device as well. When you mark it read, it is marked as read for all devices. But it is not discarded until you delete it (using ANY reading device).

------

My recommendation is to set all devices for IMAP, forcing the messages to be held on the Internet Server until you deliberately delete them (from any device). if you want to save something, move the email to a folder "on My Mac" in the sidebar.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2022 5:21 PM in response to Jon Lopiano

When you use POP, it uses a ONE Reader model. Messages are downloaded to the ONLY device, and will eventually removed from the Internet Server after a while. You are presumed to be keeping them in the inbox on your ONE email Reader program.

--------

When you use IMAP, it uses a Multiple Readers model. All messages are held on the Internet Server.

Initially, only the headers are downloaded to the reading device. When you open a message, the body and attachments are copied to the reading device as well. When you mark it read, it is marked as read for all devices. But it is not discarded until you delete it (using ANY reading device).

------

My recommendation is to set all devices for IMAP, forcing the messages to be held on the Internet Server until you deliberately delete them (from any device). if you want to save something, move the email to a folder "on My Mac" in the sidebar.

Email settings to work best

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.