Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail doesn't sync POP emails across devices

I have two email accounts that I would prefer to set up as POP, as I don't have much space on my webmail. If I set them up as POP, Apple Mail won't sync between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. If I set them up as IMAP, they do. 

Is there an option for Mail to automatically delete the emails from the server every so often? Is there a way of getting them to sync even if I set them up as POP? Or am I stuck with IMAP and logging into the web every so often to delete emails manually from there?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 18, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 9:24 AM

This is the major difference between the POP and IMAP protocols. IMAP provides synchronization between devices accessing the email account while POP protocol does not. If you want synchronization then you must use IMAP.

When you delete an email on any synchronized device the email will also be deleted from the email server.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 9:24 AM in response to stefaniem1

This is the major difference between the POP and IMAP protocols. IMAP provides synchronization between devices accessing the email account while POP protocol does not. If you want synchronization then you must use IMAP.

When you delete an email on any synchronized device the email will also be deleted from the email server.

Apple Mail doesn't sync POP emails across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.