Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to change my Apple ID on my MacBook Pro without losing data?

Is it possible to change my Apple ID on my MacBook without losing data already stored?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 3:33 PM

Click ▶︎ Change your Apple ID.

Need more help?

8 replies

Aug 20, 2022 6:12 PM in response to alanasofia

Ok, it's generally a bad idea to share an Apple ID. Apple does provide a family "sharing" plan, where each family member, has their own ID, but can share various iCloud-based apps/data, and this is something you should consider doing.

Alternately, if multiple members of the family will be sharing the use of this notebook, you can each create a user account on the notebook, so that each can save "their" data with their account. Again, though, each account should be associated with an unique Apple ID.

Ref: What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Aug 20, 2022 5:33 PM in response to alanasofia

If you change the Apple ID on a device, any associated iCloud apps & their data would not be accessible. For example, any iCloud Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and iTunes/Music music purchases, associated with the original ID, would not be available with the new one.

You can; however, use more than one Apple ID on a Mac. An example, would be:

• Use one Apple ID specifically for iCloud.
  • Use another Apple ID for iTunes/Apple Music.

Is there something you want to accomplish by changing IDs?

Is it possible to change my Apple ID on my MacBook Pro without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.