Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Date and Time not working

Hi

I have a Macbook Air M1 with the latest MacOS version installed (12.5.1)

When I turned it on the other day, the date was in October 2021 - if I change the clock manually and save, and then turn 'Set date and time automatically' (with time.apple.com) back on, it immediately reverts to October 2021

I tried running command

sudo sntp -sS time.apple.com

and this resulted in the time being correctly set - but if I restart or turn the automatic time off and on again, it goes back to October 2021...

Any help and advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 2:47 PM

Have managed to resolve - found a similar post here I have used ”Set date and time automatica… - Apple Community

Deleted timed and restarted, turned auto off and on, and then restored timed and restarted - if I now turn auto on it correctly updates (if I manually change to a different date/time) so all appears to be working!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2022 2:47 PM in response to apthorpe

Have managed to resolve - found a similar post here I have used ”Set date and time automatica… - Apple Community

Deleted timed and restarted, turned auto off and on, and then restored timed and restarted - if I now turn auto on it correctly updates (if I manually change to a different date/time) so all appears to be working!

Aug 20, 2022 4:08 PM in response to apthorpe

I should really have included the entire quote from the iPhone User Guide:

"Set Automatically: iPhone gets the correct time over the network and updates it for the time zone you’re in. Some networks don’t support network time, so in some countries or regions, iPhone may not be able to automatically determine the local time."

Aug 20, 2022 4:31 PM in response to apthorpe

apthorpe wrote:

Hi
I have a Macbook Air M1 with the latest MacOS version installed (12.5.1)

When I turned it on the other day, the date was in October 2021 - if I change the clock manually and save, and then turn 'Set date and time automatically' (with time.apple.com) back on, it immediately reverts to October 2021

I tried running command
sudo sntp -sS time.apple.com
and this resulted in the time being correctly set - but if I restart or turn the automatic time off and on again, it goes back to October 2021...

Any help and advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

If that is your only issue— I would leave it as a manual setting—Do not activate the Automatic option.

Automatic Date and Time not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.