Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID Suddenly Failed

Hi All,

Whilst on holiday my iPhone XS suddenly stopped using Face ID. Front-facing camera appears to be working, but I see the following…

Any suggestions/advice much welcome.

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 12:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 1:38 AM

According to Apple:

Using diagnostics available in iOS 14.6 or later, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

As a result, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2022 1:38 AM in response to Grogzie

According to Apple:

Using diagnostics available in iOS 14.6 or later, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

As a result, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Aug 21, 2022 1:04 AM in response to Grogzie

Follow these steps, testing after each step:

If that didn’t work and there were no error messages, then get live expert assistance by contacting Customer Support by phone or chat:

Aug 21, 2022 1:33 AM in response to Grogzie

If you receive an alert that FaceID is disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro

It can occur that you will receive the following message on your iPhone or iPad Pro : " A problem was detected with the true depth camera, FaceID is disabled"

When you're getting this error message, Make sure that you're iPhone or iPad Pro is running the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. If your device is running the latest iOS or iPadOS and you're still getting this message and FaceID is not working:  contact Apple Support to get your device serviced.

Face ID Suddenly Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.