Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching video clips with gaps quickly on the time line

This is going to be a question that I hope someone can answer which will speed up my editing. I make short, less than 60 second videos. The project starts with the entire audio file created which I'll drop into the timeline. Next, I hit option + w and stretch the gap the length of the audio file, placing the audio file under it. Now I'll find video and image files that match the audio and I'll put each on top of the gap until I have the entire audio file matching a video/image. I'll cut the gap to fit each video/image length, and then I'll put the cut gap over and drop down the new video/image. Then it's a matter of moving the video file down and dragging my audio over from the gapped clip.

My hope is that there's a way to switch a gap that's been cut the width of a video/image file, and then swap it on the timeline in one quick step. I've included an image that shows this process: a gap and a video file that I want to swap.

If there's a better way to do this or a quick switch which will automatically move my audio from the gap to the video file, switching the gap and video/image in the process, I'd be very happy to know it.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 3:01 AM

9 replies

Aug 21, 2022 3:42 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yes, that's partially true. Unfortunately, if I do any transitions with a gap clip on the main timeline, it won't allow me to do them properly as transitions are part of the main timeline. There are other problems I've found for this, but that's the primary problem.

As for just throwing the files on, my process isn't doing the first image/video and then making the second. Sometimes I'm recording so much and trying to fill holes later on as I try to come up with ideas to fill those voids or stock video clips, which doesn't work unless I add a gap clip.

Switching video clips with gaps quickly on the time line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.