Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move an older folder to a newer position in the folder hierarchy

I want move a folder in the 2021 section of the finder to today's more recent date position. Is that doable?

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 2:25 PM

I had to get a "date changer app" from the APP STORE. Nothing else worked on the folder!

The Date groupings you see are not actual locations. They are just using a search criteria to gather items into a particular date. range. So, changing the date on the folder would be the only way to have it show up in a different date grouping.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Big Dog Murphy

I had to get a "date changer app" from the APP STORE. Nothing else worked on the folder!

The Date groupings you see are not actual locations. They are just using a search criteria to gather items into a particular date. range. So, changing the date on the folder would be the only way to have it show up in a different date grouping.

Aug 21, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Big Dog Murphy

What viewing mode are you in: icon, list or column? The icon mode is the only one that lets you manually sort the files if you set the View ➙ Sort By to None.

The List and column modes can only sort by these features:

If in List view you can assign tags to the files and sort by tags which will be sorted within a tag by title. Or you can put a special character in front of the file name to move it up to the top of the list sorted by title: •*@^, a space, etc.

How can I move an older folder to a newer position in the folder hierarchy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.