Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

"RECENT FOLDERS" NOT SHOWING UP IN "WHERE" AFTER DOWNLOAD

Whenever I click on "where" on the downloaded item to place it in a particular folder it use to show folders that I have been recently using so I could easily place that item in that folder. Now I have to click "other" and find the folder every time. How do I fix this issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 2:12 AM

5 replies

Jun 25, 2023 2:41 AM in response to mrisaacjordan

mrisaacjordan wrote:

Whenever I click on "where" on the downloaded item to place it in a particular folder it use to show folders that I have been recently using so I could easily place that item in that folder. Now I have to click "other" and find the folder every time. How do I fix this issue?

In what version of macOS did recent folders appear? It doesn't show in Monterey or later. There's really nothing to fix. How it works now is how Apple decided it should work.

Jun 25, 2023 2:55 AM in response to dialabrain

I was surprised by this, because I see Recent Places all the time; but then I realized the difference:

Recent Places still exists in Ventura, if one uses Save As... instead of clicking the little arrow in the window title.

I always assign the long time shortcut Command-Shift-S back to "Save As..." - been using Save As... for 38 years now, and like others I was very upset when Apple sought to do without it in Mac OS X Lion. The user outcry made Apple reinstate it, timidly in Mountain Lion. It does not even appear in the File menu by default unless one holds the Option key. But once a user reinstates the shortcut, it does reappear.

Being an old user, I always use Command-S or Command-Shift-S.

"RECENT FOLDERS" NOT SHOWING UP IN "WHERE" AFTER DOWNLOAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.