Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pause charging at peak hours

Since Big Sur offers smart charging to improve battery life is it possible to specify a no charging time period.

It looks like soon there will be peak charging on the grid between 5pm and 7pm and we will be asked to cut our electricity usage during peak hours e.g 5 to 7pm .

Obviously 1 mac isn't going to make a difference on its own but with the battery life of current macbooks it wouldnt make a difference in performance to run on battery power for 2 hours a day automatically.

Grid capacity is very tight during those hours, it's also the most expensive time to produce electricity. So a reduction in usage in those peak hours will be envoronmental and economically beneficial.

I would love for my Macs to be playing their part in this by a relatively simple automation.

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:00 AM

Th battery's circuitry will take care of the battery. Once the learning period is complete, optimization will make sure the battery is properly maintained. That also includes when it will halt charging or throttle it down to some trickle maintenance charge. You cannot control any of it.

Let the Mac take care of its battery; micromanaging it is not going to get you anything .

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 4:00 AM in response to JohninIreland

Th battery's circuitry will take care of the battery. Once the learning period is complete, optimization will make sure the battery is properly maintained. That also includes when it will halt charging or throttle it down to some trickle maintenance charge. You cannot control any of it.

Let the Mac take care of its battery; micromanaging it is not going to get you anything .

Aug 23, 2022 7:26 AM in response to JohninIreland

If you really want to make a difference, you have to concentrate on the important factors. The essential thing when it comes to the load on the electricity grid from a home is heat (electric radiators, water heaters, stoves, ovens, tumble dryers). The load from a laptop being charged is negligible in this context. However, as already mentioned, nothing prevents you from disconnecting the charger during peak hours.

https://www.apple.com/environment/pdf/products/notebooks/M2_MacBook_Air_PER_June2022.pdf

Aug 22, 2022 5:47 PM in response to ku4hx

That's quite a selfish answer, there is nothing wrong in being environmentally responsible with your power usage and rather shameful not to when your devices are capable of regulating charging. Personal benefit, doesn't enter into it, I am still going to be able to pay my bills this winter.

While I initially focused on the 2 hours of peak demand between 5 and 7 pm. with Macs having a 20 hour+ battery life. Charging could be restricted to say between midnight and 7am. This is when demand is lowest on the grid and often renewable energy such as wind has to be curtailed (the turbine has to reduce eectricity production) since the grid has reached it's capacity for renewable energy as grid stability must be maintained.

Time management is simple but its also possible to smart charge when there is more renewable energy on the grid and reduce the use of legacy fuels like oil, gas and coal. This can go beyond your mac and into your home with homekit scheduling smarter use of power. This could mean taking a higher charge when renewable energy is more plentiful and less when it's scarse.

If you embrasse the use of recycled materials and power efficient processors as Apple does and so does it's customers. Why should the environmentally sound approach end at the factory gate, why not extend it through the products lifespan?

Our children and grandchildren need us to adapt smarter sustainable practices. There is no need for us to micromanage charging when the device is capable of doing it itself with no user intervention.

Aug 31, 2022 2:55 PM in response to John Galt

very little power but i can tell you that i automated it at the socket and for the 2 hours its off my power usage dropped by about 50 watts for 2 hours so thats a 100 watts a day or 36.5 kw a year for me. How many macs are there ? How inconvienient was it not at all my mac doesn't need to thottle back when it's on battery. Ok it's going to have to recharge but taking it off peak means a lower price (its a small saving for most people 0 hardly worth doing for one mac, but a million macs charge smarter we reduce our carbon foot print just a little bit. It's actually good for the devices, i'm into home automation so i am in quite a few groups and a lot of people will wall mount a tablet to show thier dashboard and a fair few find the batteries swell up and push of thier displays. 24/7 charging isn't great ( granted many of these devices are android).

If the device is capable of smartly controlling its charging rate why not have it do it optimal times that are good for the environment? It's basically a simple saving that yes on an individual basis makes little difference but it adds up when its a feature of the OS and all macs are doing it.

Aug 31, 2022 3:06 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

from the pdf linked, Thankyou.

"We continue to make progress in reducing Apple’s contribution to climate change—by focusing

on making energy-efficient products with renewable or recycled materials and with renewable

energy. An increase in suppliers’ use of renewable energy through our Supplier Clean Energy

Program helped reduce the product’s carbon footprint by 7 percent compared with the previous

generation.4 Apple is committed to using carbon life cycle assessments to identify opportunities

to drive down product greenhouse gas emissions"

same page gives 22% of the emmisions is from using the product. Peak time power uses some of the worst fuels for carbon emissions at the highest price. Wholesale electricity prices for peak mean the retail electricity companies make a loss at peak times and have to charge more at a higher margin for the rest of the day. So time of day and fuel mix sensitivity charging is an easy win, and if apple do it PC manufacturers will follow.

pause charging at peak hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.