Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why was the app "maps" using location services on my macbook without being used?

I feel that my privacy is being compromised. Why does the app I don't use check my location from time to time? This surely violates my human rights without asking my permission!

I know this question was left without answer here since 2016, but now I'm in a state of war with russian occupants that are 20-40 km from my home, bombing civilian buildings every day and night since February 24.

I'm in shock condition now, depressed and scared! I demand an answers!

P.S. - as a software developer I know that I can not release apps to appstore that use user location without people being notified about this at the very first app usage. That is why I'm so angry and confused probably the first time with Apple products!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 1:07 PM

FedirFromUnderground wrote:

I feel that my privacy is being compromised. Why does the app I don't use check my location from time to time? This surely violates my human rights without asking my permission!

If you don't use it, simply turn off Location Services. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and change the setting for Maps to 'Never'. Or, you can turn off all Location Services with the toggle at the top.

Additionally, Maps (and other location-necessary apps) are end-to-end encrypted. From Apple's article on privacy and security features-

Maps keeps your personal data in sync across all your devices using end‑to-end encryption. Your Significant Locations and collections are encrypted end‑to‑end so Apple cannot read them.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 1:07 PM in response to FedirFromUnderground

FedirFromUnderground wrote:

If you don't use it, simply turn off Location Services. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and change the setting for Maps to 'Never'. Or, you can turn off all Location Services with the toggle at the top.

Additionally, Maps (and other location-necessary apps) are end-to-end encrypted. From Apple's article on privacy and security features-

Maps keeps your personal data in sync across all your devices using end‑to-end encryption. Your Significant Locations and collections are encrypted end‑to‑end so Apple cannot read them.

Aug 23, 2022 10:49 AM in response to FedirFromUnderground

Apple does not routinely monitor these forums. You can submit feedback here - Product Feedback - Apple

Also, my apologies- I gave you the instructions for turning off Location Services on iPhone/iPad, not Mac. For Mac, simply open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Select "Location Services" in the sidebar > unlock the pane by clicking the lock > toggling off the checkbox next to Maps.

Why was the app "maps" using location services on my macbook without being used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.