Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't macOS Messages accept keyboard input until clicking inside the iMessage text field?

? any ideas

iMac

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 12:41 PM

I have Mission Control setup with multiple desktops with the Messages App open in one of them. After starting to type into the "iMessage" text input field, if I then switch to a different desktop and then switch back to Messages, the cursor is still blinking, but new keystrokes do not show up in the text field until I explicitly click into the text field again. In addition, if the text input field is empty when returning to the Messages desktop, the spell correct feature will make suggestions even though the keystrokes are not showing up in the input field.

This behavior seems to be new for Monterey as it did not happen with Big Sur. Is it possible to get the old behavior back?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2022 12:41 PM in response to faith185

I have Mission Control setup with multiple desktops with the Messages App open in one of them. After starting to type into the "iMessage" text input field, if I then switch to a different desktop and then switch back to Messages, the cursor is still blinking, but new keystrokes do not show up in the text field until I explicitly click into the text field again. In addition, if the text input field is empty when returning to the Messages desktop, the spell correct feature will make suggestions even though the keystrokes are not showing up in the input field.

This behavior seems to be new for Monterey as it did not happen with Big Sur. Is it possible to get the old behavior back?

Aug 23, 2022 12:00 PM in response to TPEAN

Hey TPEAN,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. If this only happens in Messages, try the applicable app-specific troubleshooting from If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac. Steps there, such as restarting the app and Mac, may be all that's needed to resolve this.

• If an app doesn’t quit as expected or it’s unresponsive, you can force quit the app (you may lose unsaved changes). Choose Apple menu  > Force Quit, select the app in the dialogue that appears, then click Force Quit.
• If the app quit, reopen it by clicking Reopen in the dialogue that appears.
• Restart your Mac by choosing Apple menu > Restart.
• Make sure the app is compatible with your version of macOS.
• Open another file in the app. There may be a problem with the original file.
Check for updates to your software.
• Disconnect any peripheral devices you just connected (for example, a printer). They may not be compatible with your version of macOS.
• Uninstall any app plug-ins or enhancements from other manufacturers.
If you recently updated the app or macOS, a plug-in or enhancement you installed may no longer be compatible.
Diagnose problems with your Mac to learn whether hardware you installed, such as additional memory, is incompatible, improperly installed or defective.

Take care.

Aug 23, 2022 4:19 PM in response to TPEAN

TPEAN,

Thank you for giving that step a try.

Have you had the chance to check if the issue persists on safe mode? Below is an article to help guide you through the process.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Safe mode can help determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

After trying safe mode, boot up normally, then let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Why doesn't macOS Messages accept keyboard input until clicking inside the iMessage text field?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.