Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive is not working on MacBook Pro via USB-C adapter

I just purchased a USB Superdrive for my MacBook Pro and am using an adapter to USB-C . The drive is not working and I am getting a message that the accessory needs power. Not sure what to do now?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 3:41 PM

9 replies

Aug 22, 2022 5:17 PM in response to lobsterghost1

In my experience with Apple's SuperDrive purchased around 2012, it was excellent for making a copy of a CD music album to use in a CD player. You know, the one with the carousel that held at least 50 CDs? We haven't played it in AGES, since the use of iPods and iPhones.

I considered using it with Time Machine, but unless I'm missing something that newer SuperDrives have, it would be extremely time consuming for backups. However, in reading about the failure rate of newer External Hard Drives, slow and easy might be the answer.

Any suggestions for either USBSuperdrive, lobsterghost1, or me on this matter? 💖

Aug 28, 2022 1:10 PM in response to lobsterghost1

lobsterghost1, thanks so much! I have been searching for an external hard drive for months (everywhere I looked, the reviews for the most recommended drives were frightening! I finally gave up with fingers crossed for luck and I just copy the most important items on thumb drives. So far, none of them have failed, but I will take a look at Samsung immediately!

Aug 28, 2022 1:40 PM in response to Allan Jones

I have not used the SuperDrive on my 15"MacBook Pro 2019, but I connect my new iPhone 13" Pro to my MBP via an adapter purchased in 2019, that accommodates several types of connections. I've used it for my Thumb Drives, Kindle, etc, and the cord that came with iPhone.

Surprised that it's still at AMZ:

MOKiN USB C Adapter for MacBook Pro/Air 2019, Mac Dongle, 6 in 1 Multiports USB-C Hub to 2 USB 3.0 4K HDMI SD TF Card Reader and USB-C 100W PD Adapters

SuperDrive is not working on MacBook Pro via USB-C adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.