Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New system update

I have a iMac with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. I tried to check for the latest update but it's showing up as "incompatible". What should I do?

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 3:55 PM

Use the 🍎 > About this Mac, and post the iMac model year here, and we can post back what your upgrades options might be, if any.

Or you can research those options yourself: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

macOS Monterey is current, and an iMac from 2015 and newer can upgrade to that.

macOS High Sierra is unsupported and isn’t getting patches, and lacks various security features added more recently including the read-only system volume and anti-malware updates including XProtect Remediator.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 3:55 PM in response to Brady1287

Use the 🍎 > About this Mac, and post the iMac model year here, and we can post back what your upgrades options might be, if any.

Or you can research those options yourself: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

macOS Monterey is current, and an iMac from 2015 and newer can upgrade to that.

macOS High Sierra is unsupported and isn’t getting patches, and lacks various security features added more recently including the read-only system volume and anti-malware updates including XProtect Remediator.

Aug 22, 2022 5:00 PM in response to Brady1287

Brady1287 wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying to my question. Yes, its an old but reliable one - 21.5 inch mid 2011. Not sure what to do to keep the hackers away. I've never had any issues to date.

21.5" iMac Mid 2011 tops out at High Sierra.

You're four and very soon five macOS versions back.

There have been security fixes since then, yes.

Do keep scheduled backups too, as the hard disks in those iMacs are getting old and can fail. A failing hard disk drive from that era usually shows first as decreased performance and as beachballs, then hangs and crashes, and then... well... have backups.

New system update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.