Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get the keyboard switcher shown in iOS when connected to an external keyboard?

With "keyboard switcher" I mean the button highlighted in this screenshot taken on iPadOS 15.6.1:

I have 3 keyboard layouts (added under Settings > General > Keyboards): English (US), German and English (UK).

When connected to an external Logitech EasySwitch-capable keyboard (Logitech K780 Keyboard), this button allows switching the keyboard while connected to the external keyboard. I like this feature. I think it was added in iPadOS 15. Before this button existed, you had to select the correct layout before connecting the external keyboard. Now you can do this while the keyboard is connected, which is good.

Anyhow, my question is: does this also exist in iOS? It is not shown when connected to an iPhone 11 Pro. (Do I need to turn this feature on somewhere?)

In iOS I have the problem that the keyboard I select is ignored by the Logitech K780, i.e. it has a British layout but will type like a German QWERTZ keyboard irrespective of my selection in the iOS keyboard.

I don't know yet if this is an iOS issue or a Logitech issue, but in any case – does iOS also display that keyboard switcher button? I am not sure whether this is an iPadOS-exclusive feature...

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 10:24 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 24, 2022 11:17 AM in response to Alexome

Hi there Alexome,

Not all third-party keyboards are compatible with iPhone. Some features may not work as expected. The options you have for adjusting external keyboard settings can be found here: Adjust the onscreen and external keyboard settings on iPhone

For more help with your Logitech keyboard, you'll want to reach out to Logitech's support team here: Logitech Support

Take care.

Aug 26, 2022 3:05 AM in response to Alexome

Alexome wrote:

• When making the switch to either device, the layout that becomes active is a rather random result. I cannot see a consistent pattern here. Sometimes I get the native layout of the external keyboard, sometimes I get the keyboard selected in iOS/iPadOS.

You should always get the mapping you have set in settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard for a given language. For example, if you have "US" checked for all three of English US, German, and English UK, your keyboard should always map like a standard US Qwerty keyboard (and never Qwertz), regardless of how the keys are printed. The only thing that should change when you use Control Space to switch between German and the two types of English is the spellcheck/autocorrect behavior.

On iOS, from a usability point of view, neither showing the Globe button nor the keyboard switcher button while connected to an external keyboard is not a good solution in my view, because you cannot assume that every user knows about the keyboard shortcut.

You can suggest that to Apple via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 25, 2022 8:21 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

To summarize, this is what I found:

• The keyboard switcher button is shown in iPadOS, not in iOS.
  • Switching via the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Space while an external keyboard is connected will remap keyboard input to the chosen keyboard on either operating systems. (It might take more than one attempt.)
  • When making the switch to either device, the layout that becomes active is a rather random result. I cannot see a consistent pattern here. Sometimes I get the native layout of the external keyboard, sometimes I get the keyboard selected in iOS/iPadOS.
  • On iOS, from a usability point of view, neither showing the Globe button nor the keyboard switcher button while connected to an external keyboard is not a good solution in my view, because you cannot assume that every user knows about the keyboard shortcut.

Aug 24, 2022 12:35 PM in response to Alexome

Alexome wrote:

Before this button existed, you had to select the correct layout before connecting the external keyboard.

No, that is mistaken. Switching keyboards from a hardware keyboard has always been possible via Control Space or sometimes the Fn/Globe key.

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge for each of English US, German, and English UK. Make sure that you have the layout you want checked (and not "automatic") for each of them (presumably "US", "German Standard" and "British"). Then you should get the correct mapping when you switch via Control Space, etc.

How to get the keyboard switcher shown in iOS when connected to an external keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.