iPad Bluetooth keyboard English QWERTZ

I need to just switch Y and Z on a setting of hardware keyboard on iPad. I don't want a German or any other layout. I need an English layout with Y and Z switched.

On software keyboard it's possible when you just select QWERTZ on English layout. On hardware I can't find English QWERTZ among the options. Just ABC QWERTZ which is just a German layout.

Thnx!

iPad Air

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 3:57 AM

QWERTZ is a German-layout keyboard.

Other than selecting the correct language settings for iOS/iPadOS - and the country/language-specific Keyboard that you wish to use - iOS/iPadOS does not have facility to remap individual keyboard keys.

5 replies

Aug 10, 2023 6:41 AM in response to DrSolfernus

DrSolfernus wrote: I need to just switch Y and Z on a setting of hardware keyboard on iPad. I don't want a German or any other layout. I need an English layout with Y and Z switched.

Apple has never provided that option for hardware layouts. In MacOS there are apps to make custom layouts, but in iOS it is not yet possible. To ask Apple to add this feature, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 13, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I'm sorry Tom but I'm quite confused about "Apple has never provided that option for hardware layouts. "

Could I ask you for clarification?

My iPad Air offers 4 layouts for US English keyboard - Qwerty, Azerty, Qwertz, Dvorak. Does your note mean that these layouts are available only for onscreen keyboard and only QWERTY (1st in the list) is available for bluetooth hardware keyboards? I'm asking because no matter what I select from these 4 layouts my external keyboard is fixed to QWERTY.

Dec 14, 2023 8:05 AM in response to filo01

filo01 wrote:

I'm sorry Tom but I'm quite confused about "Apple has never provided that option for hardware layouts. "
Could I ask you for clarification?

Yes, that poster wanted a hardware layout which was qwertz but did not differ in any other way from US (e.g. no ö ä ü over on the right side). Apple never made one like that. Glad that you found what you needed.

iPad Bluetooth keyboard English QWERTZ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.