📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove my Game Center Apple ID account from my Macbook pro?

I can't remove the Game Center account from my Macbook Pro. I click on the "-" minus button in the Internet Accounts and it prompts me to confirm that I want to delete the account.

When I click "OK" the prompt screen disappears and I'm back at the Internet Accounts screen with the Game Center account still there.

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 3:12 PM

Okay, I've successfully fixed everything! Here are the steps I had to take in order to fix this:

1. Backup and Remove everything in the ~/Library/Keychain/
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Remove the device from my appleid.apple.com account.
  4. Sign into the Apple ID account on the macbook.
    1. Two factor authentication took forever and eventually timed out and I tried to use the same code again.
  5. The login finally worked and then I was able to open Internet Accounts and remove my Game Center account.
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2022 3:12 PM in response to mtschaef

Okay, I've successfully fixed everything! Here are the steps I had to take in order to fix this:

1. Backup and Remove everything in the ~/Library/Keychain/
  2. Restart the computer.
  3. Remove the device from my appleid.apple.com account.
  4. Sign into the Apple ID account on the macbook.
    1. Two factor authentication took forever and eventually timed out and I tried to use the same code again.
  5. The login finally worked and then I was able to open Internet Accounts and remove my Game Center account.

Aug 24, 2022 2:09 PM in response to mtschaef

Hello mtschaef,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're unable to delete your Game Center profile from Internet Accounts via System Preferences of your Mac. We'll be happy to help.

With the profile for Game Center continuing to appear, we suggest to restart the Mac in safe mode. While in safe mode, please attempt to delete your profile from Game Center within Internet Accounts. This is a step that may help you to remove your profile from Game Center. Safe mode is a step that deletes your system caches and prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up. Here's how to perform these steps

"How to use safe mode

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window."

Here's an article with that information: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Once you complete safe mode, please restart your Mac as normal and see if the profile for Game Center continues to appear.

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Aug 24, 2022 2:47 PM in response to mtschaef

mtschaef,

Thanks for letting us know. Next, have you tried restarting your Mac followed by retesting to see if that positively impacts the issue you’re experiencing as it pertains to deleting the Game Center account and adding your Apple ID to your MacBook? If not, please try that step and let us know how it goes.

You can restart your Mac by choosing the Apple menu > Restart.

While a restart can seem unimportant, it can resolve many minor computer issues.

If the original problem persists after trying the previous steps, please provide us with specifics on what you see for more help, and we will continue from there. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2022 2:59 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

I have tried twice starting in Safe Mode and removing the Game Center Account. Restarting after each attempt. I have restarted about 5 times now after trying things like removing the "Keychain" as well as removing the device from my "Apple ID" manage profile.

With the Keychain removed logging into my Settings Apple ID goes to further steps like 2 factor authentication and asks me to reset my Keychain password. After doing so, it errors out again with the "Verification Failed: An unknown error occurred."

I'm going to try to remove the Keychain and restart my computer before attempting to sign in to my Apple ID again.

How do I remove my Game Center Apple ID account from my Macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.