Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod will not charge

I recently borrowed a iPod Classic from my father while I work to get enough money to replace the hard drive to an iFlash board in my iPod Video. The iPod Classic charged fine until about an hour ago when the lightning icon stopped appearing. This happened when I kept plugging in and unplugging the cable as my stereo wont let me play next tracks unless I do it while its disconnected. The device does have a little battery but its at red. After plugging it in for a while, it doesn't SAY its charging but goes up to a green color around halfway but once I disconnect it, it goes back to red. This is really worrisome as the device was working fine until I borrowed it. I tried using 2 cables and connected through both DC and AC power. If anybody knows what the issue is please notify me. I want to know if either it was the charging port, a visual glitch or the battery finally dying. I really don't want to take apart the iPod even though its already scratched up as I want to keep it in the condition it was handed to me in.

iPod Classic

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 2:20 PM

If it is a 6th 80gb, 160gb (thick) or 120gb, when you connect it to a computer USB port and it shows the charging symbol, but won't show the symbol when connected to wall power it needs a specific adaptor (e.g. original supplied with the ipod).

7 replies

Aug 29, 2022 10:35 PM in response to turingtest2

I have used both a really old cable that I believe is apple but it has the buttons to insert and disconnect and I have also tried using another newer apple charger. I have used AC power mainly as my computer isn't used as often. The device does charge as it has been on for multiple days with the original battery but will not display it charging and I believe it does not display the correct battery life due to age.

iPod will not charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.