Related Article: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iPad and I want to connect my phone number and messages from my phone to it but I do not want to transfer my apps and data from my phone to my ipad

I have a new iPad and I want to connect my phone number so I can see my messages from my iPhone but I do not want all the apps and data from my iPhone to transfer on to my iPad. Can I do this? I could also make a new Apple ID for my iPad but I heard that you can’t use one phone number for 2 apple ids. Is this true?

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 1:41 PM

nhannosh wrote:

Thank you for your fast reply. Is Continuity an app I can use for message forwarding?

Continuity is a suite of services built in to iOS. But, you don't really need to know any more about it to do what you want:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 1:41 PM in response to nhannosh

nhannosh wrote:

Thank you for your fast reply. Is Continuity an app I can use for message forwarding?

Continuity is a suite of services built in to iOS. But, you don't really need to know any more about it to do what you want:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Aug 24, 2022 1:50 PM in response to nhannosh

nhannosh wrote:

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Using Continuity, you can transparently access web pages and reading lists and tabs from one device to the next, can AirDrop among them, and—with Universal Access—can join and use a Mac and an iPad as one big extended display, among other features.

In regards to your last paragraph, does this mean I can connect a singular phone number to two Apple ids and receive text messages to both devices?

Continuity will send messages to all associated devices, though will send notifications with whichever device you’re immediately working with before spreading notifications further; it’ll do what you want showing your messages everywhere, without also having your Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Mac all honk at you at once in parallel for an arriving message while you’re using the Mac.

The iPhone will receive SMS and MMS and relay to other devices and Macs sharing the same Apple ID via Continuity.

Messages sent via Apple iMessages are not specifically tied to a telephone number, and will connect directly.

This stuff is also why two people sharing the same Apple ID (and which is not recommended) will get in trouble with (for instance) notifications being mis-routed via Continuity.

Aug 24, 2022 1:20 PM in response to nhannosh

Using Continuity, you can have Apple Messages messages forwarded.

An iPad doesn’t have cellular telephone capabilities, so it won’t be able to make or receive cellular calls, save through an iPhone.

Your apps will only load if you select downloading new apps, and/or if you restore your older device to this iPad. Otherwise, the apps loaded are separate, save for what data those apps might save in iCloud with the shared Apple ID, or when using a feature such as iCloud Keychain or iCloud Photos.

Outside of the places that can use a telephone number as an Apple ID, an Apple ID has no particular relation to a telephone number. You can have several iPhones each with two telephone numbers, or (absent recovery numbers) none associated with the Apple ID.

I have a new iPad and I want to connect my phone number and messages from my phone to it but I do not want to transfer my apps and data from my phone to my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.