Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get the camera to recognize and respond to QR codes?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 7:22 PM

For the camera app, check to see that Settings > Camera Scan QR codes is turned on

You can also use the QR code scanner in Control Center.. that one may be more convenient for some because it will automatically launch the website rather than requiring you to tap on the screen. It also has a flashlight option in case the barcode needs better lighting.

If neither method works, the code you are trying to scan may not be a QR code

Scan a QR code with the iPhone camera – Apple Support

If you want to check what kind of barcode it is, you can search the App Store for Cognex Barcode Scanner and one of the top results should be a yellow box with a barcode in the icon and a C in the upper right.. That app is really nice, it's free and it will read & identify the barcode type for you... as well as allow you to navigate in to a website from it

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 7:22 PM in response to JimSaelzler

For the camera app, check to see that Settings > Camera Scan QR codes is turned on

You can also use the QR code scanner in Control Center.. that one may be more convenient for some because it will automatically launch the website rather than requiring you to tap on the screen. It also has a flashlight option in case the barcode needs better lighting.

If neither method works, the code you are trying to scan may not be a QR code

Scan a QR code with the iPhone camera – Apple Support

If you want to check what kind of barcode it is, you can search the App Store for Cognex Barcode Scanner and one of the top results should be a yellow box with a barcode in the icon and a C in the upper right.. That app is really nice, it's free and it will read & identify the barcode type for you... as well as allow you to navigate in to a website from it

Aug 24, 2022 6:49 PM in response to JimSaelzler

Refer to Apple's set of instructions in Scan a QR code with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support:

How to scan a QR code with the Camera app 

1. Open the Camera app from the Home Screen, Control Center, or Lock Screen.
  2. Select the rear facing camera. Hold your device so that the QR code appears in the viewfinder in the Camera app. Your device recognizes the QR code and shows a notification.
  3. Tap the notification to open the link associated with the QR code.

Aug 24, 2022 7:17 PM in response to David McKinlay

I read this and followed the instructions earlier. My iPhone camera did not recognize a QR code as being a QR code, so that's why I posted the question. So how do I inform the camera it's looking at a QR code and to respond accordingly?

BTW, I've been working with somewhat small QR codes that don't take up much screen real estate when I pull back enough for them to be in focus. That may have an impact on the problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.