Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook adds extra letters only at log in

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and it started adding extra letters at log in soon after I got it brand new from the store. I thought it was just me but I have had to use it more recently and now I dread logging in because if my password was password it would come out as PPPassword or some variation because you just see **** but I will see a bunch added at one time especially at the beginning a lot and I have to go back and delete I have memorized how many characters are in my password so I can tell if it has repeated because I cant go by what I typed. Is there a way to fix this? It dose not happen anywhere else just at login and all other sites I log in are fine. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:10 PM

helpmeplez wrote:

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and it started adding extra letters at log in soon after I got it brand new from the store. I thought it was just me but I have had to use it more recently and now I dread logging in because if my password was password it would come out as PPPassword or some variation because you just see **** but I will see a bunch added at one time especially at the beginning a lot and I have to go back and delete I have memorized how many characters are in my password so I can tell if it has repeated because I cant go by what I typed. Is there a way to fix this? It dose not happen anywhere else just at login and all other sites I log in are fine. Thank you.

Login in to your user account(?), or log into "other sites" (?)

If you have a bad psswd—delete it from Keychain Access.app if that is your issue.

Keychain Access User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you have a keyboard issue—

see if you qualify

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

if this is an Intel Mac

you can try—

resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

ref

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 3:10 PM in response to helpmeplez

helpmeplez wrote:

Login in to your user account(?), or log into "other sites" (?)

If you have a bad psswd—delete it from Keychain Access.app if that is your issue.

Keychain Access User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you have a keyboard issue—

see if you qualify

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support

if this is an Intel Mac

you can try—

resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

ref

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

My MacBook adds extra letters only at log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.