Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unauthorized modification

Hello! I live in Russia. I have been using Apple products for 8 years now.

12 mini handed over to a service center in his city. It was sent to the main service center in Moscow, where experts issued a verdict: unauthorized modification.

For its part, no action has ever been taken in this direction. I have never taken the device in for repair before.

1) Can I find out the date when there was an attempt to hack my phone? Service centers refuse to provide this information.

2) I, as a user, could have been sold a device that was obviously hacked. And what should I do now: just throw it away? Since even on a paid basis, service centers refuse to perform repairs.

3) Maybe there was a hacking attempt after passing it to a service center in my city? Moreover, when entering your account (on another phone), a password code is requested, and after passing it to the service center, it does not work! I remember the code, it is correct, there can be no doubt!

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 7:47 AM

"Unauthorized modification" doesn't mean the phone was "hacked". It means that someone who was not Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider opened the phone, possibly to make repairs. For example, the screen gets cracked and you take the phone to a local shop to have it replaced. That would be an "unauthorized modification".

Did you buy this phone directly from Apple? Or from somewhere else?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 7:47 AM in response to dmtr7

"Unauthorized modification" doesn't mean the phone was "hacked". It means that someone who was not Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider opened the phone, possibly to make repairs. For example, the screen gets cracked and you take the phone to a local shop to have it replaced. That would be an "unauthorized modification".

Did you buy this phone directly from Apple? Or from somewhere else?

Aug 25, 2022 7:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The phone was purchased from an authorized dealer, Apple support confirmed.

The device stopped charging and I took it to an authorized service center for the first time since I bought it.

Therefore, they could open it only in 2 cases: either before I bought it, or after I handed it over to a service center.

There were no other repairs to my device in 1.5 years of ownership.

How to find out exactly when an unauthorized modification was attempted?

unauthorized modification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.