Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMovie will not import any more photos after the 26 minute mark

How can I continue to add photos in iMovie after the 26 minute mark

iMac

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 3:06 PM

I don't know what is going on there. Did you reset your System Management Controller, and do the other procedures that I suggested in my previous post? All Macs have a chip, and it is a matter of whether it is an intel chip or silicon chip.

If still having no luck, try contacting Apple Support and talking to the techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can input your phone number.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 3:06 PM in response to LeeVV

I don't know what is going on there. Did you reset your System Management Controller, and do the other procedures that I suggested in my previous post? All Macs have a chip, and it is a matter of whether it is an intel chip or silicon chip.

If still having no luck, try contacting Apple Support and talking to the techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Navigate to a place where you can input your phone number.

-- Rich

Aug 26, 2022 8:04 AM in response to LeeVV

Make sure that your iMovie app is fully up to date with latest version that you computer can run.

Try resetting your System Management Controller. It only works on intel chip Macs, not on the newer M1 silicon chip Macs. Here are the instructions.

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If still no luck, try opening iMovie in a new or different library and see if you can import more than 26 minutes of photos.

Another thing you can try is to import your media into a newly created project and see if that cures the problem.

Failing that, try opening iMovie in a new or different user account, such as the Guest Account on your Mac, and see if you can import more photos there.

As a last resort, try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications

folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Aug 25, 2022 1:35 PM in response to LeeVV

You might not have enough free space to import the photos. Check how much free space you have on your internal drive. If not enough, clear off some space. There is no limit to haw many photos you can import into iMovie, as long as you have enough space. You would want at least 20 GB of free space.

If you have enough space, but still the problem persists, you can try deleting/resetting preferences in case it is a corrupt preference that is causing the problem. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if you can continue to import photos into iMovie.

-- Rich

Aug 26, 2022 1:14 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you Rich

i did try to start the project over and couldn’t go past 15 minutes

then dumped all of them and completely started over

I have an older computer 2017 and it has a processor not the chip. I did put iMovie in the trash and downloaded the program again to no avail

maybe it’s time for a new computer

thank you for trying to help me

lee

My iMovie will not import any more photos after the 26 minute mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.