Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have photos that I have imported and dropped into iMovie, but they don't show up when I play the movie.

Why do all the photos that I drop into iMovie not show up when I play the movie

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 4:45 PM

As a test, put one photo on your desktop. Open it in the Preview app on your Mac. Then go to Tools/Adjust Size. In the dimension box lower the large dimension to 2500 or lower if necessary. Save and drag into iMovie. See if it displays properly.

— Rich

4 replies

Aug 23, 2020 3:23 PM in response to jjsuch55

Hi, jjsuch55,

You are describing an aggravating problem, to be sure. A few more details would help.

What version of iMovie are you using and what operating system? When you say that the photos "don't show up" what exactly are you seeing or not seeing? Are the photos showing black? Or not at all? Are they not showing up in the timeline or in the preview screen? How are you importing the photos? What format are the photos? Do the photos display O.K. in the Photos app or when you drag them to your desktop?

Meanwhile, you can try deleting preferences since it is so easy to do and often cures iMovie misbehaviors. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your photos display properly.

-- Rich

I have photos that I have imported and dropped into iMovie, but they don't show up when I play the movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.