Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add umlaut in Pages for Mac?

I just spent an hour trying to put an umlaut over a letter in old Norse in Pages. I tried similar many times on a Mac but ultimately give up in frustration. Of course, I can put a smiley face emoji anywhere I want.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:57 PM

Apple has two easy ways to do what you want which normally work for all apps: press and hold the key for the base letter and pick the umlaut version from the pop up menu that appears, or type option u and then the base letter. Their help article is

Enter characters with accent marks on Mac - Apple Support

let us know if you are using a keyboard layout other than English, or need an accent on an unusual character, and we can give further help.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 3:57 PM in response to Bad Baby Post

Apple has two easy ways to do what you want which normally work for all apps: press and hold the key for the base letter and pick the umlaut version from the pop up menu that appears, or type option u and then the base letter. Their help article is

Enter characters with accent marks on Mac - Apple Support

let us know if you are using a keyboard layout other than English, or need an accent on an unusual character, and we can give further help.

Aug 25, 2022 10:34 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

y_p_w wrote:

I’m not sure what the OP did to get Old Norse.

Yes, it can be pretty complex, one would need more info about the orthography being used to give complete advice on the easiest way to make the necessary characters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Norse_orthography#Latin_alphabet_orthography

I actually did it on an iPad. However, I can do that on most Macs. Certainly anything running Monterey, but now I'm on my mid-2012 Unibody MBP running Catalina.

àáâäæãåā

I'm thinking the OP wanted to compose something in Old Norse and needed umlauts. That should be pretty easy unless there's something really wrong. Honestly I wish I had something like this years ago when I was writing a paper on Middle English. One particular character (æ) was pretty common and it just didn't look right as "ae".

Aug 25, 2022 1:21 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Way too complicated - which means time-consuming. Just spent a couple hours on this and still don't see a reasonable answer from Mac. But solved the problem. Copied the word w/umlaut off the internet and pasted it. Easy peasy. I finally tried after all these years to figure out how to do it. Why expect Mac's Pages to have an easy solution.

Aug 25, 2022 6:09 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

That’s how I generated mine. It worked in Pages too, although I’m not sure what the OP did to get Old Norse. I held dow and “a” and waited for a set of a’s with accent marks to get this.

áâäæ

aãåā

How can I add umlaut in Pages for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.