Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 11 Fails on DFU Restore

Hi all,

I`m hoping some great minds might be able to shed some light on this and point me in the right direction.

My iPhone 11 suddenly froze and then went black screen. I tried all the usual fixes;

1. Charge for an hour
  2. Soft and hard resets

The device wont power on, no apple logo - nothing!

So, I decided to do a DFU restore through iTunes. I plugged it in and went through the button presses to get the phone into DFU and iTunes suddenly woke up and said an iPhone 11 had been detected but needed to be restore.

I still had a completely black screen at this point.

So I went ahead and clicked restore nd this is what happened;

1. iTunes went off and downloaded 15.6.1
  2. Verified the software
  3. Extracted the software
  4. Prepared the iPhone for update
  5. I heard a couple of bongs from Windows (the phone disconnecting and reconnecting to USB)
  6. Then a white Apple logo appeared
  7. The the dimmed apple logo with the progress bar underneath and a swirly circle underneath that
  8. Then the screen went blank - iTunes said "waiting for iphone" and eventually it bombs with an unknown error

Now, my thinking is some kind of hardware issue because it feels like at the point it wants to start loading the iOS file to the phone storage it seems to bomb.

But I would love to hear your opinion and if you also think its hardware which bit might need changing??

Thanks all,

Rob

(PS. I spoke to apple and there diags software was no good and they said I would need a new phone! + I dont have applecare)

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 12:46 PM

RobH1976 wrote:

Now, my thinking is some kind of hardware issue

Yes, that sounds highly likely. One other possibility is your iTunes is obsolete. The current version is 12.12.4.1.

This is likely your last hope. Its chance of success is slim.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

I spoke to apple … and they said I would need a new phone!

That’s highly likely.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 12:46 PM in response to RobH1976

RobH1976 wrote:

Now, my thinking is some kind of hardware issue

Yes, that sounds highly likely. One other possibility is your iTunes is obsolete. The current version is 12.12.4.1.

This is likely your last hope. Its chance of success is slim.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

I spoke to apple … and they said I would need a new phone!

That’s highly likely.

Aug 25, 2022 12:57 PM in response to RobH1976

RobH1976 wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

I actually tried another PC and iTunes and made sure it was the latest version and that failed as before.

If this is hardware does the way it fails give anyone any clues as to what might need to be repaired if I was to be brave enough to give it a shot ?

thanks

Apple doesn’t sell parts. Even if they did, the only thing it could really be is the main logic board since the only other removable parts would be the display and the battery… and to say the logic board is removable is not entirely true. it is laminated to the back glass…

Knowing the exact error message might give us a clue as to why it’s failing, but you didn’t include that information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

Aug 25, 2022 2:11 PM in response to KiltedTim

hi,

You are right I didn’t include the error that eventually popped up on iTunes just because I made an assumption that it’s was just a generic error code. I should have provided that.

The error given was “an unknown error has occurred error 4045”

what I see is that the phone has gone black again and iTunes just sits there (probably because the phone isn’t responding anymore) and then iTunes times out and gives this generic error.

I guess if there’s nothing to swap my options are fairly limited and it looks like a new phone for me.

of course with the upcoming iPhone 14 on the horizon now I have the choice of waiting for that or just getting a 13.

thanks for your help

Aug 25, 2022 2:34 PM in response to RobH1976

RobH1976 wrote:

of course with the upcoming iPhone 14 on the horizon now I have the choice of waiting for that or just getting a 13.

Given that Apple has announced September 7 as its event date, you should expect an iPhone 14 to be available no sooner than September 16. So “waiting” means at least three weeks.

Iphone 11 Fails on DFU Restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.