Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Once I upgrade to Catalina will I be able to share MS Word documents with other computers that don't have Catalina?

I have an old iMac that works fine but if I upgrade to Catalina will I be able to share documents with other computers, like my laptop - that don't have it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 9:40 AM

Not necessarily. Word is often per machine, per user license.

However Word is not the only application that can read Word files.

Office 365 is free on the web version as is the most compatible version for those who do not have a current release of Office licensed.

Google Docs, Apple iWork, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, OnlyOffice all offer Word compatiblity to a lesser extent, but short of the person running the same or newer version of Office on their computer, sharing may fail either due to layout concerns, or other features not found in their version of Word "compatible" software.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 9:40 AM in response to susanfromglencoe

Not necessarily. Word is often per machine, per user license.

However Word is not the only application that can read Word files.

Office 365 is free on the web version as is the most compatible version for those who do not have a current release of Office licensed.

Google Docs, Apple iWork, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, OnlyOffice all offer Word compatiblity to a lesser extent, but short of the person running the same or newer version of Office on their computer, sharing may fail either due to layout concerns, or other features not found in their version of Word "compatible" software.

Aug 26, 2022 10:05 AM in response to susanfromglencoe

If you have an old iMac, then upgrading to Catalina will require a 64-bit implementation of Microsoft 365 or Office 2021 for Mac, and these are neither free, nor without requiring a license/software upgrade from your old Mac. The actual MS Office documents are bit-independent and can be opened with MS Office intended for Catalina or later, or any application on any computer that can open MS Office documents.

Aug 26, 2022 11:06 AM in response to susanfromglencoe

susanfromglencoe wrote:

I have an old iMac that works fine but if I upgrade to Catalina will I be able to share documents with other computers, like my laptop - that don't have it?

Yes. Documents are not 32 or 64 bit, they are documents. You can share, email, use cloud services, etc. to share a document across devices, or with other Office users.

Once I upgrade to Catalina will I be able to share MS Word documents with other computers that don't have Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.