Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to re-install OS after remove all contents by disk utility

I've migrated my Macbook Air from 2018 version (intel) to 2021 version (M1) by using migration assistant.

The process is completely successful.

I want to delete all the contents from my old Mac since I will give it back to my brother

I have followed all instructions in apple support by using disk utility steps.

The content was successfully removed

The next step is to reinstall the OS, but after I click destination on Macintos HD it says that there is not enough space to install Big Sur.

How come, I have completely deleted all content. so it should be enough.

What am i supposed to do?

Please help

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 12:30 PM

You need to erase the whole physical drive instead of just a macOS volume. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. The physical drive will be identified as something like "Apple SSD....". Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). After this you should be able to install macOS.

If your MBAir is actually the 2018 model instead of the 2017 model, then you can instead "Restore" the firmware which will also push a new clean copy of macOS 12.x Monterey onto the laptop.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, here is an Apple article with instructions on things you should have done before erasing the Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2022 12:30 PM in response to hernk007

You need to erase the whole physical drive instead of just a macOS volume. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. The physical drive will be identified as something like "Apple SSD....". Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option). After this you should be able to install macOS.

If your MBAir is actually the 2018 model instead of the 2017 model, then you can instead "Restore" the firmware which will also push a new clean copy of macOS 12.x Monterey onto the laptop.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

FYI, here is an Apple article with instructions on things you should have done before erasing the Mac:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2022 5:16 PM in response to hernk007

If you have the 2018 model, then the easiest & quickest method is to use the "Restore" firmware option by using your 2021 Mac using the article I linked in my previous post.

The instructions for reinstalling macOS is included in the other linked Apple article I provided for preparing a Mac for resale. The only difference between my instructions and those instructions are I like to erase the whole physical drive on an Intel Mac instead of just erasing the hidden Container.

Here is an Apple article focusing on just reinstalling macOS from Internet Recovery Mode (make sure to follow the link within this article to "erase the disk" or use my slightly modified version from above for the erase step):

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

When erasing the drive or hidden Container, you can either keep the original name or use "Macintosh HD" or "Macintosh SSD" where the former is the macOS default for naming the boot volume. After reinstalling macOS you will be greeted by the Setup Assistant asking you to configure the new OS. Just select the language and click next so you are provided access to the Apple menu so you can select "Shutdown". This will allow your brother to go through the setup process himself to customize the OS to his liking.

Unable to re-install OS after remove all contents by disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.