Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey update 12.5.1 issues

Since 12.5.1 Monterey update, MacBook Pro, I can’t log on to Bank website. Just spinning .

any ideas please?

I’ve cleared cookies and history.

thanks in advance

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 2:08 AM

No Problems here using Safari 15.6.1 on Monterey 12.5.1.

Able to log into all 4 Banks I use, 1 Financial Institution and both Credit Card Companies and 2 Government Website including Income Tax Site of the Government

What exactly occurs with your site ? Some Error message of Access Denied Message ?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 2:08 AM in response to Pondhopper15

No Problems here using Safari 15.6.1 on Monterey 12.5.1.

Able to log into all 4 Banks I use, 1 Financial Institution and both Credit Card Companies and 2 Government Website including Income Tax Site of the Government

What exactly occurs with your site ? Some Error message of Access Denied Message ?

Aug 29, 2022 4:56 AM in response to Pondhopper15

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot , ESET , Kaspersky Antivirus. Anti virus

AVG AntiVirus <<<<

Trustee <<<<

Please read some of the posting specific to both Applications in question and then arrive at your own conclusions.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Aug 29, 2022 7:02 AM in response to Pondhopper15

If the suggestion is " out side your comfort zone " , nothing wrong with that and takes a big person to admit - then Yes, a trip to to your nearest Apple Store maybe your better choice .

In my case, the link provided will as Safari to use Location Service to better direct you to closest Apple Store based in your actual location

Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple (CA)

Aug 29, 2022 4:41 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks again .I have had AVG for many years never had an issue with bank sites

Trustee was also downloaded over 20 years ago no issues.

Bank website requires my “ user name “ then input a “log in code” generated from my Mobile banking App on iphone.

Please consider me as computer “ ignorant “ 😉. Any issues I usually search the web and try resolve, only way to learn.

I’ve done the basics rebooted MacBook Pro and Router. Appreciate your help.

Aug 29, 2022 6:55 AM in response to PRP_53

I’ve used both Trusteer and AVG on the same MacBook Pro for over 20 years without issue, until the Monterey 12.5.1 update.

Your reply is very comprehensive but as I explained I’m not that computer savvy.

I think your suggestion is to remove both.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I think my best course is to go to Apple Shop see the techs there.

Thanks again

Aug 31, 2022 3:05 AM in response to dialabrain

After many fraught hours trying to work through this on my own, I’m sorry my comment was vague.

Thank you for your reply perhaps I have confused others. My apologies.

I previously mentioned I’m not “ au fait” with computer terminology.

The “over 20 years” referred to working on laptops..

I moved to Apple 7 years ago. I’ve used Trusteer and AVG on my MacBook Pro accessing my bank accounts with all the relevant OS systems up to Monterey.

I’m unable to log on to the bank sites since I downloaded the Monterey up date 12.5.1

I hope this clarifies my post and I apologise. I appreciate all the help offered .

Monterey update 12.5.1 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.