Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro incorrectly showing hard disk space available

my macbook pro is not showing available space correctly. a few days ago, i had about 400-600GB available. now it says there is only 30+ gig available. when i look at the system preferences>storage option, i see 690 gb are allotted to apps , but when i look at the apps folder it is only 39gb large. what is going on here? how do i fix it?

i have reset the P ram.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:57 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 30, 2022 10:11 AM in response to samonguitar

Hello samonguitar,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We recommend checking your storage while in safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the following resource for assistance with safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know the results. Be sure to include any other steps that you may have tried.

Cheers!

Aug 31, 2022 7:20 AM in response to samonguitar

samonguitar,

That would depend on the particular app. To help further isolate this behavior, lets see if you can get updated to the latest macOS 12.5.1 using the steps below:

1. Before continuing, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.
2. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
3. Click Software Update in the System Preferences window. Can't find Software Update?
4. Software Update now checks for new software.
• If Software Update finds new software, click Update Now or Upgrade Now to install. You might be asked to restart or enter an administrator password.
• If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model.
Software Update preferences

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Updating can sometimes help to address unexpected behaviors, and further isolate a software conflict.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

macbook pro incorrectly showing hard disk space available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.