Mac incorrect storage reading: 4GB of apps taking up 152GB of space?

Lately, I've been getting warnings about my Mac storage. It's been saying I'm out of space, which is weird, because I don't keep much on it.

Went to clear out some space and noticed that my Mac is coming up as having 154GB of apps. But if you look at the list, those apps only total about 4GB of space:

Anyone know what's going on, or how I can fix this? I tried doing a repair and a Spotlight reset, and restarted after each of those, too. Still isn't working.

I kind of need the storage space for my job so a bit worried! Can anyone help? Thanks

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 1:04 PM

Apple's guidance: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

You should also get rid of all helpers, fixers, optimizers, AV, VPN and any other app that is stated to make your Mac run faster, better and/or safer.

All are not necessary and can, and will, cause system disruptions.

You have a "smallish" disk. You can attach an external drive for more storage space.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2023 1:04 PM in response to wigglewiggles

Apple's guidance: Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

You should also get rid of all helpers, fixers, optimizers, AV, VPN and any other app that is stated to make your Mac run faster, better and/or safer.

All are not necessary and can, and will, cause system disruptions.

You have a "smallish" disk. You can attach an external drive for more storage space.

Oct 2, 2023 5:47 PM in response to ku4hx

Hi there, I’m having the exact same problem as the OP. I have 66 apps listed. Only three of them stretch to GB, and they total about 6GB. The other 63 are MB and KB. It’s saying I have 116GB of storage used up for these apps.

I’m pretty hopeless at computers so I please bear with me. I don’t know what “helpers, fixers, optimizers, AV” are, but I don’t think I have any. I do have a VPN though.

Are you suggesting my VPN (Private Internet Access) may be causing disruption in the system that has “disappeared” 100+GB? I’m not saying you’re wrong of course but that is extremely surprising news! I did a fair bit of research before choosing PIA and this didn’t come up.

I’ve had an ongoing storage problem entirely due to things I can pinpoint. I’ve just spotted this as I’m giving it a good old spring clean in preparation for getting a new one and not wanting to transfer over a lot of drivel. I mention this because I’ve tried all the tricks listed in the link except compression (which I’m not going to learn how to do just so I can squeeze a few GB when there’s 100+GB unaccounted for).

Apple recommended your answer and I hope they’re reading this and can clarify further rather than take up more of your time.

Thank you for your help!

Oct 2, 2023 11:11 PM in response to johnreeve

I’m pretty hopeless at computers so I please bear with me. I don’t know what “helpers, fixers, optimizers, AV” are, but I don’t think I have any. I do have a VPN though. Exactly as stated, any app that claims to make your Mac faster, better .....

Are you suggesting my VPN (Private Internet Access) may be causing disruption in the system that has “disappeared” 100+GB? I’m not saying you’re wrong of course but that is extremely surprising news! I did a fair bit of research before choosing PIA and this didn’t come up. Yes to the disruption. The app's use is your choice.

IApple recommended your answer and I hope they’re reading this and can clarify further rather than take up more of your time. Apple will not clarify. If you have further questions or problems ask them in your own separate post.

Mac incorrect storage reading: 4GB of apps taking up 152GB of space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.