Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i delete photos on my mac will they be gone on i cloud

my MacBook is running out of space and the photos on my photos app take up the majority of the storage, I have turned off iCloud sharing since I have the same cloud account on my mac as on my phone. if I delete photos on my MacBook will they disappear on I cloud too?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 10:52 AM

I fear you may have taken the wrong approach.

First off, if you've turned off iCloud synching, then deleting a photo on your Mac won't propagate to other devices.

However, if you have iCloud synching turned on, the the OS can automatically offload images (and other documents) to iCloud, storing only a thumbnail on your Mac, automatically downloading the full-sized image as needed. This can save a lot of space, with less risk of deleting photos inadvertently.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Ratholomew

I fear you may have taken the wrong approach.

First off, if you've turned off iCloud synching, then deleting a photo on your Mac won't propagate to other devices.

However, if you have iCloud synching turned on, the the OS can automatically offload images (and other documents) to iCloud, storing only a thumbnail on your Mac, automatically downloading the full-sized image as needed. This can save a lot of space, with less risk of deleting photos inadvertently.

Aug 29, 2022 10:47 AM in response to Ratholomew

Ratholomew wrote:

my MacBook is running out of space and the photos on my photos app take up the majority of the storage, I have turned off iCloud sharing since I have the same cloud account on my mac as on my phone. if I delete photos on my MacBook will they disappear on I cloud too?

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Organize photos and videos in albums on iCloud.com

Photos for Mac - Apple Community

if i delete photos on my mac will they be gone on i cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.