Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panics, beachballing, etc.

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) running macOS 12.5.1 is becoming increasingly unusable due to frequent beachballing, kernel panics, apps becoming unresponsive and crashing. I frequently have to force-quit apps and restart to get the computer operational again. Sometimes it will go for hours without problems, sometimes they happen almost as soon as I start up but they always seem to recur. I have disconnected all external drives and uninstalled some old apps and extensions but the problem persists. I have thought about reinstalling the OS but haven't done so yet. Any suggestions on what to do next? I have attached my most recent EtreCheckPro report.

iMac

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 11:00 AM

I just looked at your report and it looks like you have a Windows partition:

disk0s3 - N********D (MS-DOS FAT12) 1.12 TB

I'm pretty darn sure the answer to your problem is to exclude BOOTCAMP from Spotlight. Go to System Preferences->Spotlight, Privacy tab, and add BOOTCAMP by dragging and dropping it from Finder.

I suffered through the same issues for a week and after excluding BOOTCAMP, my problem was immediately solved and my Mac has been fine since.

See my previous post for more info.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 11:00 AM in response to ScorpioX3

I just looked at your report and it looks like you have a Windows partition:

disk0s3 - N********D (MS-DOS FAT12) 1.12 TB

I'm pretty darn sure the answer to your problem is to exclude BOOTCAMP from Spotlight. Go to System Preferences->Spotlight, Privacy tab, and add BOOTCAMP by dragging and dropping it from Finder.

I suffered through the same issues for a week and after excluding BOOTCAMP, my problem was immediately solved and my Mac has been fine since.

See my previous post for more info.

Aug 30, 2022 2:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your response and your help, Barney-15E. I started up in and stayed in Safe Mode yesterday for most of the day and had no crashes or panics. Restarted this am normally and experienced beach-balling within an hour. I checked the panic log today and found 2 things that were recently related to kernel panics: AppleMobileDeviceHelper (BAD ACCESS/KERN_INVALID ADDRESS) and Safari (BAD ACCESS/KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE). Not sure what to do next. What do you suggest?

Sep 1, 2022 5:52 PM in response to ScorpioX3

Problem solved! I excluded Bootcamp from Spotlight yesterday afternoon and have had no further issues since doing so; things appear to be back to normal. Thanks for suggesting that, BobPioneer. I never would have made that connection or figured it out on my own. Thanks for your help as well, Barney-15E. Starting up in Safe Mode and having the problem disappear pointed me away from it being possibly a hardware problem and got me focused on the software.

Kernel panics, beachballing, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.