Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving Deleted emails until I delete them permanently

Is there any way that I can keep my deleted emails in iCloud longer than one month? It is helpful to delete emails to keep my in box uncluttered, but sometimes I want to find a deleted email. When I delete messages, could they go to my archive folder? In the past, I have gone back to my deleted messages and deleted those older than 2 months. If my space on the server is exceeded, I will delete them earlier.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

The mails are erased permanently after 30 days from server , you can create mailbox in " on my Mac section " and move mails from trash to it before 30 days Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the mails deleted from inbox will never move to archive folder , when gmail account is set in mail application , the mails are archived automatically read Archive emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Always check mail storage space View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space for email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep mailboxes from getting too big in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 7:25 PM in response to gregmacosko

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

The mails are erased permanently after 30 days from server , you can create mailbox in " on my Mac section " and move mails from trash to it before 30 days Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : the mails deleted from inbox will never move to archive folder , when gmail account is set in mail application , the mails are archived automatically read Archive emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Always check mail storage space View email account information in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Free up storage space for email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep mailboxes from getting too big in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2022 7:57 AM in response to gregmacosko

See the link https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6576?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=%2Cmove-archived-messages-back-to-your-inbox

For iCloud account you have to manually archive particular mails in apple mail application .

For second question .

Multiple same mail address say example1@gmail.com will be shown , the person should added in Mac address book with complete correct mail address , first and last name then it will be searched .If searching doesn’t find the right emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Also searching is always done from inbox / sent folders and not from archive folder , archiving of gmails is automatic , the mails inside are second copy you don't need to alter / delete them or move to inbox / sent ..etc

Aug 30, 2022 6:21 AM in response to tygb

Thank you. A question: On my Apple Mail app, I have my gmail and iCloud accounts. For gmail, every message I receive or send, with the exception of Junk, goes to my gmail archive folder. I have messages back to 2020, and my server space isn't full. (I will delete everything older than 3 months). Why can't I do this with my iCloud account?

Another question. When I search in the gmail Archive folder by entering a name, e.g. Phill, a number of possible email addresses drop down below the search box, with a great number of emails on the left as possibilities. However, when I select one of the addresses below the search box, all of the possible emails disappear. Yet the email address I selected, was in the previous long list of possibilities. It makes no sense that when I limit the search, I get no results for the person I'm searching for. But he is in the broader search.

saving Deleted emails until I delete them permanently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.