Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud changed my Deleted Messages Remove behavior without my knowledge and now all my mails in Trash are gone!

I have been with iCloud since many years and have always kept the Remove behavior on my Deleted Messages as Never, so I can go back to find something if I need to.

I can't even tell when this started, but when I tried to find an email that I recently deleted, I noticed I can only go one week back. After investigating it, I noticed the Remove setting is turned to One Week!

This is bizarre as I have now lost my Trash mails for the past few years! Is there a way that I can recover them?

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 10:16 PM

The mails are kept only upto 30 days in trash , they are erased automatically and cant be recovered Delete emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Erase deleted messages

Choose when you want Mail to erase deleted messages. To avoid exceeding storage limits set by your email account provider, choose a setting other than Never.

If you select None for Bin Mailbox, you can have messages permanently deleted automatically.

If your email account provider sets up the server to delete older messages, the messages are deleted regardless of how you change this option.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2022 10:16 PM in response to KelvinTTH

The mails are kept only upto 30 days in trash , they are erased automatically and cant be recovered Delete emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

See the article Change Mailbox Behaviours settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Erase deleted messages

Choose when you want Mail to erase deleted messages. To avoid exceeding storage limits set by your email account provider, choose a setting other than Never.

If you select None for Bin Mailbox, you can have messages permanently deleted automatically.

If your email account provider sets up the server to delete older messages, the messages are deleted regardless of how you change this option.

iCloud changed my Deleted Messages Remove behavior without my knowledge and now all my mails in Trash are gone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.