Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are the arrows to the left of folders missing?

For some reason, the black arrows to the left of folders in every Finder window, are not there in my Documents Finder window! This is really inconvenient, as I just want them to open without opening each one in a separate window! I just want their contents to drop down, but I can find no setting that's any different for that window than any of the others, which all have the arrows. I'm find this quite perplexing, any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 4:36 PM

Thanks for your suggestions, but I finally figured it out. looked at the View Options for my Documents folder, then at my Current Downloads folder, and saw that the Documents had the Arrange By setting, set to Kind, and Sort by also on Kind. While my other folder had the Arrange By set to None, and Sort by to Kind. So I changed the Arrange By on my Documents folder to None, and Voila! Now the arrows are back, alongside each folder! Another little thing that the Apple Help menu unfortunately doesn't make very clear. Like, what exactly is the difference between Arrange by & Sort by? I can't tell why arranging by nothing means I'd have the arrows, while if they were arranged by kind, there'd be no arrows... doesn't make much sense to me, but then, Apple's products have steadily lost their vaunted "intuitive" reputation, from years past...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 4:36 PM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for your suggestions, but I finally figured it out. looked at the View Options for my Documents folder, then at my Current Downloads folder, and saw that the Documents had the Arrange By setting, set to Kind, and Sort by also on Kind. While my other folder had the Arrange By set to None, and Sort by to Kind. So I changed the Arrange By on my Documents folder to None, and Voila! Now the arrows are back, alongside each folder! Another little thing that the Apple Help menu unfortunately doesn't make very clear. Like, what exactly is the difference between Arrange by & Sort by? I can't tell why arranging by nothing means I'd have the arrows, while if they were arranged by kind, there'd be no arrows... doesn't make much sense to me, but then, Apple's products have steadily lost their vaunted "intuitive" reputation, from years past...

Why are the arrows to the left of folders missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.