Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime "Waiting for others"

Ever since updating my phone to iOS 15, FaceTime no longer lets me call my iCloud account on my son’s iPad, daughters iPhone or anything, which is signed in with my iCloud account. Why is this happening? It leaves the comment “waiting for others” when I attempt to FaceTime the iPad using my iCloud account or phone number. I always used to be able to call the iPad or other iPhones, using my one main Apple ID / my iCloud account information, on all the devices, until I made this iOS update. Please help with a fix.

Thank you SOOOO much :)

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 1:41 PM

Hi Mickey82,

The steps from this article may help with what you're experiencing: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 

2. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.

3. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 

4. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.

5. Restart your device.

6. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

Best regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 1:41 PM in response to Mickey82

Hi Mickey82,

The steps from this article may help with what you're experiencing: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1. Make sure that your device has a Wi-Fi connection to the Internet or a cellular-data connection.
Learn more if you're using router, firewall, or security software that restricts Internet access. 

2. If you're trying to use FaceTime over cellular, make sure that Use Cellular Data is on for FaceTime. Go to Settings and tap Cellular or tap Mobile Data, then turn on FaceTime. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.

3. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that FaceTime is on. 
If you see "Waiting for Activation," turn FaceTime off and then on again. Learn what to do if you can't activate FaceTime.
If you don't see the FaceTime setting, make sure that Camera and FaceTime aren't off in Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allowed Apps.
Make sure that you have the correct phone number or email address listed. 

4. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and turn on Set Automatically.

5. Restart your device.

6. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

Best regards.

Sep 13, 2022 11:17 AM in response to Mickey82

Mickey82,

FaceTime is designed to work with different Apple ID's. Essentially if you have the same Apple ID on multiple devices and are trying to call from one device to another, its analogous to calling yourself on the telephone.

We understand it may have worked in the past, however that is not how the feature has been designed and may have been unexpected behavior at that time. If you'd like to see changes to FaceTime, we'd recommend leaving feedback here: Feedback - FaceTime - Apple

Cheers!

Facetime "Waiting for others"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.