Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I backup a non-default Photos library?

I take a lot of photos with a large frame digital camera, so they don't automatically load into my photos on iCloud. I then import the photos from the camera SD card into a Photos library that is not my default library that automatically syncs to iCloud. The short question is, what is the best way to back this non-default library up. For a longer explanation read on. This is on purpose as a lot of the photos, especially nature photos of butterflies, birds and such don't turn out and end being deleted or modified (hard to keep a bug still). I then import the keepers that I might want to show and share with others into my default Photos library, which then will sync with iCloud. So the default library is automatically backed up in two places, iCloud and Time Machine. However, my other library, which right now has probably has 15K photos is only backed up to Time Machine. I have always heard you should have two back ups, and as I don't want to lose the other Photo library if something horrible should happen, I am looking for a way to back it up to another external disk. I don't want to just drag the alternate Photos library to the external disk each time as many of the files will never change again, but I know a Photos library is a complex container of many folders and files and the backup scheduler that I use for my offline files (Chronosync Express) breaks them all down and backs them up in a way that I don't know how to restore them as a Photos library container if I ever had to. So short question is, what is the best was to backup this extra Photo library?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 10:39 AM

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to incrementally backup your Photos library to the copy on the EHD. With CCC you can set it to do it automatically at a specific time each day or whenever the EHD is first mounted that day. Backing up a 500 GB boot drive with CCC only takes about 1 minute since it only copies those files that have been added or changed.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 10:39 AM in response to mb34

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to incrementally backup your Photos library to the copy on the EHD. With CCC you can set it to do it automatically at a specific time each day or whenever the EHD is first mounted that day. Backing up a 500 GB boot drive with CCC only takes about 1 minute since it only copies those files that have been added or changed.

Aug 31, 2022 3:32 AM in response to mb34

You wrote "So the default library is automatically backed up in two places, iCloud and Time Machine."

iCloud is not really a full backup, as soon as you delete a photo from your library it will also be deleted in iCloud!

Yes it will help if your iMac has an issue, but it will not protect you from user errors.

I personally use 2 external HD for TimeMachine and change frequently between them.

Therefore both have nearly the same data.

One HD is at home and the second HD is in my office desk.

Then I will change the locations after I created a new TimeMachine backup.

Therefore I should be protected if my home burns down.

You can easily restore any of your photo libraries, is ever needed.

In TimeMachine you can select each library independently and restore the one that you need.

Unfortunately you have to restore the complete library and can not restore single photos.

Ralf

How do I backup a non-default Photos library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.