Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add metadata to a Video file?

Hi

I've been using Lightroom to permanently add GPS and other data to JPGs but no app seems to work for video files like .MOV, .MP4, or .AVI. Is this possible?

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 6:43 AM

Movie metadata is a mess and a moving target.

But I have used exiftool to add or modify dates and locations, and in a limited manner also titles, captions, keywords, device make & model in .mp4, .m4v and mov.

I have tested and used metadata tags that QuickTime Player and Photos.app support, such as:

QuickTime:CreateDate

Keys:CreationDate

Keys:GPSCoordinates

Keys:DisplayName

Keys:Title

Keys:Description

Keys:Author

Keys:Keywords

Keys:Make

Keys:Model

Keys:Software

Movie dates and Photos.app - Apple Community

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=12176

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 6:43 AM in response to Spartan1of300

Movie metadata is a mess and a moving target.

But I have used exiftool to add or modify dates and locations, and in a limited manner also titles, captions, keywords, device make & model in .mp4, .m4v and mov.

I have tested and used metadata tags that QuickTime Player and Photos.app support, such as:

QuickTime:CreateDate

Keys:CreationDate

Keys:GPSCoordinates

Keys:DisplayName

Keys:Title

Keys:Description

Keys:Author

Keys:Keywords

Keys:Make

Keys:Model

Keys:Software

Movie dates and Photos.app - Apple Community

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=12176

Aug 31, 2022 6:21 AM in response to Spartan1of300

Metadata support for video is very patchy and, given that most of the suffixes you mention there are actually containers for any of a variety of codecs, the whole video/metadata situation is not good. In many cases there is simply no space in the file for this kind of supporting data. Some newer cameras will manage metadata, but it's an evolving situation. Most folks use the filename to preserve the details, as that, at least, is reliable.

Aug 31, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you, I did check out this tool but it was a little beyond me and I don't think it can write to AVI files. I could probably convert these files to any other format but I'm trying to stick to original as much as possible.

Since we're on the topic of writing metadata. Is it possible to write data to a RAW file without the XMP sidecar file, like to a Nikon NEF file? I would love to import my NEFs into Photos but any changes I make of course only come out of a JPG export.

Aug 31, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Spartan1of300

AFAIK .avi does not support much metadata so I'd convert to .mp4 and archive the original .avi.

I am usually quite cautious messing with original raw metadata (.cr2, .cr3, .dng) so I routinely just rename them as YYYY-MMDD-hhmm-ss.* like I do with other image and movies with GraphicConverter or exiftool based on their metadata datetime. But occasionally I have added GPS, ratings, captions and keywords also to such raw files with no ill effects (I dislike clutter from sidecar .xmp files). exiftool is very safe in this respect and it should refuse to touch unsupported formats (just the other day exiftool author was asked to add support for Panasonic Lumix GH6 .rw2 files).

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=13861.0

Can I add metadata to a Video file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.