Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mirroring content from iPad to Apple TV not working but MacBook to TV works fine.

I use a VPN to watch content from abroad. It works well when watching it on my iPad and MacBook.

I can mirror the Content from my MacBook to the TV through my AppleTV box. It works well for video and sound. When I play the exact same content on my iPad and then try to AirPlay/mirror the content to the TV it fails. I get the message that the content is playing on my tv but it’s just a blank screen ( same blank screen on my iPad)

All software is up to date. All devices are compatible with AirPlay and Mirroring. Both iPad and MacBook are on the same network etc.

This is driving me nuts.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 8:06 AM

Screen mirroring on Mac is truly capturing the screen and sending that capture to Apple TV.

Screen mirroring on iPhone or iPad may switch to basic AirPlay automatically if that is supported for that app. Then it would be forwarding the stream instead of capturing. That is good for quality (resolution and other video properties, and also multichannel audio).

That difference might make a device-VPN stream inaccessible to another device without that same re-routed connection.

Apple makes no accommodations for your type of foreign VPN use, and that no doubt pleases the partnering content providers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 8:06 AM in response to DACAL

Screen mirroring on Mac is truly capturing the screen and sending that capture to Apple TV.

Screen mirroring on iPhone or iPad may switch to basic AirPlay automatically if that is supported for that app. Then it would be forwarding the stream instead of capturing. That is good for quality (resolution and other video properties, and also multichannel audio).

That difference might make a device-VPN stream inaccessible to another device without that same re-routed connection.

Apple makes no accommodations for your type of foreign VPN use, and that no doubt pleases the partnering content providers.

Mirroring content from iPad to Apple TV not working but MacBook to TV works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.