Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture can't delete photos / cloud icon / no delete option

I used to use image capture to delete photos from my iphone. Now using an iphone 12 mini.

Photos app didn't prompt me to delete after importing like it used to (weird thing #1).

Fired up image capture (my old workaround) and there's a cloud icon next to the phone name and the delete option is greyed out.

I'm NOT using icloud for photos so all those option are turned off.

Just trying to get 2k photos off my phone (can't believe apple STILL hasn't made a delete all option for their photos!). ANy other workarounds?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:53 AM

You can delete photos directly from the phone. Be absolutely sure you don't need those photos first, and

if you do, copy them onto your computer or a thumb drive that feeds into the phone and is readable and verified on your computer. Such thumb drives would have a lightning port built-in for iPhone compatibility. Here are the directions for deleting direction from the phone.

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 7:53 AM in response to boloney

You can delete photos directly from the phone. Be absolutely sure you don't need those photos first, and

if you do, copy them onto your computer or a thumb drive that feeds into the phone and is readable and verified on your computer. Such thumb drives would have a lightning port built-in for iPhone compatibility. Here are the directions for deleting direction from the phone.

Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 31, 2022 11:27 AM in response to a brody

I have 2000 pix on the phone - the deleting by phone thing is tedious (considering the 2k+ photos). Phone is connected by cable. I turned on (and off again) iCloud photos and restarted and then it worked. Cloud disappeared and I was able to delete en masse. So go figure.

Still ridiculous Apple doesn't have a DELETE ALL option re photos after all these years!

Image Capture can't delete photos / cloud icon / no delete option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.