Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The music on my old Mac did not transfer to my new iMac. A lot of the music was my personal CDs that I recorded from records. How do I transfer them.

The music on my old iMac did not transfer to my new iMac. Mush of it is CDs that I recorded from records.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 7:28 PM

Did you follow the steps in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant, if you did then your music was NOT being backed up in the first place. So simply copy your music library and drag it to the Music app.

10 replies

Aug 31, 2022 11:17 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I went to the Preferences in my music app and checked to share my entire library on my local networks. It showed where it is stored but how do I drag it from my old computer (2009) to my new one. They have different mouse connections. Sorry to be such a problem. Would there be anyway to transfer it to a USB stick and bring it into the new one that way. I guess I would have to figure out how much space is taken up by my music. I also have an external hard drive for backup. Could I transfer the music that way?

Since it is after midnight I had better get to sleep.

Thank you again for your help and suggestions.

Sep 1, 2022 9:38 AM in response to imyfarrell

After you know where the music library is, you use Finder to navigate tom that location. then once you have navigated there you copy the library and paste it onto a flash drive or an external HD or DVD and then once copied you connect the media (flash drive etc..) into the new Mac and then drag it to the media app. Also, is there a reason you have not called AppleCare, they can help you much quicker than a forum. If you are in the US call 800-275-2273.

The music on my old Mac did not transfer to my new iMac. A lot of the music was my personal CDs that I recorded from records. How do I transfer them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.